1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pinkish hue on hi-res scan of B/W photos into Photoshop

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by ITTF Museum, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ITTF Museum

ITTF Museum Thread Starter

Hello Group,

I'm trying to scan (600dpi) B&W glossy photos, enlarge them and print them on photo paper for an exhibit I am planning.

They are coming into Photoshop with a sort of pinkish/purplish hue and print that way too. Really disappointed, as it seems I will now have to hire a professional shop do these enlargements unless I can somehow tweak some settings in Photoshop or the scanner/printer so that the scan/Photoshop/print comes out looking like the B&W originals.

Can anyone suggest how to get rid of this unwanted hue? I selected print only B&W and that got rid of the hue of course, but the result was grainy and flat compared to the full color print with the hue.

I have not experimented with gamma settings or others.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks.

Charles

2. buck52

buck52 Banned

Got to run to work but a couple of quick questions that might help when someone else comes along...

What scanner?
    Can you eliminate Photoshop as the problem... it's probably not... by opening to another program?

buck

3. ITTF Museum

Hi Buck, Thanks for looking in.

My scanner/printer is a Lexmark X5130. Have not tried other programs but can experiment and send the scan into the Lexmark image handler. I will also try 300dpi scan to note any differences.

Charles

4. lister

lister

Are the images being scanned in RGB or Grayscale? You could try converting to Grayscale once scanned.

5. slipe

slipe

In Photoshop go Image > Mode > Grayscale. You can also try Image > Adjustments > Desaturate and compare it to the grayscale.
    Either will get rid of the tint. You might want to mess with the black and white sliders in Levels – don’t use Contrast.

The poor quality printing black and white is that some printers like HP use only the black cartridge for the B&W selection, and that uses pigmented ink that isn’t appropriate for photo paper and has a lower resolution. If you choose grayscale with HP it mixes the colors to get B&W for photos so it can use higher resolution and avoid that purplish haze the pigmented ink leaves on large black areas. But sometimes grayscale can give a tint of its own.

6. ITTF Museum

Thanks to all who looked in. Slipe and lister's suggestion of converting to grayscale after the scan (via Image>Made>Grayscale) produced a much improved print on photo paper.

Keep up the great work - what a great site! I have made a donation in the past for such incisive help received on TSG.

Charles

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/434834

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice