1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pinning to the jump list with Office 2013 - not working?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by ttybe, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ttybe

ttybe Thread Starter

I can pin frequently used folders/files/URLs to explorer, Adobe, Waterfox, Chrome, etc, but specifically with Office 2013 programs I have not, since installing it last week, been able to pin anything. I installed 2013 and about a day later uninstalled Office Starter 2010 when I made sure everything was set up and working properly. When I pin an office document directly to the taskbar instead of to its related program icon, a mouseover indicates it's still associated with Starter. Opening the file from its directory launches it in 2013 and I specifically used "open with..." and manually set the file association to 13 (which it already was, but I did it again anyway). Trying to open it once pinned to the taskbar gets the error message "Click-2-Run configuration failure." Have not turned up anything in Google that seems helpful, although I did try emptying the AutomaticDestinations and CustomDestinations folders - that cleared out the existing pins on Explorer/browsers etc, and I repinned those successfully again, but still nothing for Office 13.

So... any ideas? Thanks. :)

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Since you uninstall Office Starter 2010 AFTER install of 2013, I would run a Repair" on the 2013 as something may have been removed that you still need.

3. ttybe

ttybe Thread Starter

Well, *something* I did in all of that worked - thanks! Leaving the 'solution' here for what it's worth in case anyone else has this issue, though I couldn't tell you at what point I had managed to 'fix' the problem.

What I did:

I went into the program list and saw "Click 2 Touch 2010" listed and decided to try uninstalling that first. That at least made pinning documents directly to the taskbar associate themselves with 13 instead of Starter, but I still couldn't pin to the icons.

I tried a quick repair. No apparent change, but I was trying to pin to the existing icons.

Full (online) repair. No apparent change BUT a full repair removed the pinned icons so I had to repin. I tried pinning three different ways this time (and I'm sure I tried this at the very start, but I didn't make any detailed notes other than that it didn't work trying it different ways, and I didn't try multiple pin methods in the middle steps) - pinning from the start menu icon, pinning from the actual exe file, and pinning using an open word document. The first wouldn't allow pins, the second wouldn't allow me to pin even itself, the third one - for I still don't know what reason - does. I repeated with Excel and had the same result.

So to sum up, once I've pinned the actual program to the taskbar from an open file in that program, I can then pin files to that icon.

On a side note, using Word as an example, pinning from the start menu icon and hovering over the icon shows "Word 2013" whereas the one pinned by opening a file and pinning from there shows "Word (desktop)" on hover.

4. ttybe

ttybe Thread Starter

Okay, I spoke too soon. First, I repeated the process after indulging in an admittedly somewhat smug lunch for having wrestled Office into submission... and came back to find I'd got it a little bit wrong, apparently. Opening a file and pinning the program to the taskbar from there still brings up the "Word 2013" version of the icon that won't pin. Dragging a word document from a folder onto the taskbar automatically pins the program icon to the taskbar, and when you close the file, you are left with the "Word (desktop)" icon that does allow pins. Only wait, no, it only allows *one* pin - pinning the document you created the original pin from. Ugh, is this still making sense? Basically I drag a.docx onto the taskbar and, once it opens, right click on the icon and click the option to pin the program to the taskbar. That works. I close the file and now clicking on the icon opens a blank word doc, and right clicking shows a.doc as pinned.

Only I can't pin anything else. Nothing I drag onto that icon works. So I unpin and try a different document - b.docx. This time the pinned icon shows up, the file does NOT open, AND a.docx and b.docx are already pinned! In order to pin anything new, I must unpin Word altogether and then pin the actual doc I want pinned to the taskbar. WHAT IS THIS MADNESS.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087253

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice