1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pinning to Word icon suddenly won't work

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by raquibird, Apr 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raquibird

raquibird Thread Starter

I just (March 30, 2011) installed the most recent Flash Player after the window popped up. Immediately the minimized Adobe window (in my taskbar) began to flash orange, and I could not close the page. I had to shut down and restart. And then I saw that all the documents that I had pinned to the Word icon in my taskbar had disappeared, and when I tried to pin a document, it wouldn't pin. Never happened before...awfully big coincidence... I just uninstalled Flash Player to see if that would fix the problem, but it didn't. Please help!

Thanks. As always.

Manuela

2. BigTobster

BigTobster

Try system restore or reinstalling word/office

3. raquibird

raquibird Thread Starter

Hi - thanks for your message.

I did reinstall Word, but that didn't take care of it. If I do the whole system restore, does that mean that I have to reinstall everything I installed since I bought the computer? All the bells and whistles? And Firefox, etc. etc.?

Tx

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    How are you doing the "Pinning" to the taskbar Word icon?
    How many files have you pinned there?

As for restoring, NO a System recover only messes with "SYSTEM files and NOT programs and data files. That said, any "System" type files that a program may add will be removed if you installed any new programs.

A "System Recover" will reset it back to "Factory settings", including removing ALL programs and data, that were added since you set up the machine when you first got it.

5. raquibird

raquibird Thread Starter

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your time and help.

I used to pin by dragging a doc icon on my desktop into the Word icon I have on the taskbar. And though the little message tells me that it's pinning, it doesn't. I had a whole list of docs pinned, and the one that I used all the time was up at the top, separated from the others, and I'd get to it by right clicking on the Word icon. After the Flash update, the list disappeared.

Confused about your explanation about 'system recover' and 'system restore'.

"As for recovering, NO a System recover only messes with "SYSTEM files and NOT programs and data files."

And then you said, "A "System Recover" will reset it back to "Factory settings", including removing ALL programs and data, that were added since you set up the machine when you first got it"

Thanks again.

Manuela

6. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Are you saying that you can drag more than one Word file to a Word icon on your desktop?

I have never heard of dragging a word file to a desktop icon and I have been teaching Word for years.
    After doing more searching, I find that some people will drag a file to the Word icon and that file will open in Word. Is that what you are doing?

As for the System Restore, I was trying to tell you and "BigTobster" that it will ONLY restore "System" files that what you are doing may not be affected by a System Restore.

And that a System Recover would wipe your machine clean and start over.

And to be aware that a system recover will wipe your drive clean

7. WendyM

WendyM Retired Trusted Advisor

Dave, I think the confusion is that in your post above you inadvertently said "system recover" both times instead of "system restore" the first time.

Manuela, it might be helpful to know what version of Word you are using. In Word 2007 and 2010, you can "pin" a document by making the pushpin turn green so that those files are always available in the recent documents list. But that's not what you're talking about, correct?

8. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Yes I have used BOTH terms as they do two different things, and some people have been know to use them both for the "System Restore" function, and have gotten in deep dodo by using the wrong function.

9. WendyM

Oh, I know. But you inadvertently just used ONE term in your post #4, which is what I think confused the OP. No big deal, but I think that's why she asked for the clarification.

10. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    I see where you are coming from. My error when I used recover when I should have used Restore.

And NOW I can can not edit that post to fix it.

11. raquibird

raquibird Thread Starter

Wendy, thanks so much for helping to clear up the nomenclature.

I am using Word 2000. (Never liked 2007 - probably I'm a stick-in-the-mud...)

All I really want to do is to get the one Word doc re-pinned to the Word icon that I keep on my Taskbar; it used to be listed when I right-clicked the icon. After the installation of Flash, it suddenly disappeared. The list of most recent docs also used to show when I right-clicked the Word icon, but they also disappeared. I've uninstalled Flash, reinstalled Word, but nothing has helped. Would you please tell me which one - 'restore' or 'recover' - wipes clean everything, because that's the one I don't want to use.
    Thanks so much for your time.

Manuela

12. fmejdik

fmejdik

I've encountered a very similar problem at one of our clients PCs. The user pins Office documents directly to the task bar - they are automatically grouped by the application - e.g. all Excel documents are grouped under the Excel icon. He can easily access them by right-clicking on the icon. About two weeks ago, several Windows updates were installed. Since then, Word documents can't be pinned to the task bar any more. All the other documents such as Excel, Power point or Access are working OK. The configuration is Win 7 + Office 2010.

13. WendyM

Sorry Manuela, I didn't notice you'd replied to this. RECOVER wipes everything clean and that's the one you DON'T want to use. RESTORE only restores system files and that's the one you DO want to use.

fmejdik, thanks for your post. I finally realized by looking at your configuration that this is a not a feature in Word, but a feature in Windows 7 that allows you to drag multiple files to the task bar and have them grouped with the program icon. Neat. But I guess not so neat if it's not working. So now that I understand it better, is it accurate that you have the Word icon on the taskbar still, but no files associated with it? If so, try this. Open Windows Explorer and copy and paste the following in the address bar:

%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations

You should see a list of files that end in .automaticDestinations-ms. You want to find the one for Word and delete it. The problem is that I don't know the exact file name for Word 2000 or Word 2010. The name for Word 2003 is adecfb853d77462a.automaticDestinations-ms and 2007 is adecfb853d77462a.automaticDestinations-ms. If either of those appear, it can be deleted.

Once it's deleted, navigate to C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar and delete the Word shortcut. Click the icon on the taskbar. You should receive a message saying it cannot be opened (because you just deleted it) and asking if you want to remove the item. Say yes. Go to Start/All Programs and locate the Word shortcut. Right click the shortcut and select Pin to Taskbar. You'll have to re-pin all of the documents you previously had.

Hope that helps.

14. raquibird

raquibird Thread Starter

Hi Wendy,

Just rec'd this - thank you so much. I glanced thru it, and see I have lots of homework to do. Better yet is for you drive to CA mountains, I'll give you fresh vegetables from the garden, take you for walks in the forest, and you fix everything and make it all better again.

I appreciate so much the clarity in your writing - maybe it's a female thing...

I will keep you updated on the progress. I just rec'd an email with fmejdik's message that I assume you've seen.

How do you know so much???

Manuela

15. raquibird

raquibird Thread Starter

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/989142

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice