Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-107D problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Odessit05

Hey everyone.

I am having a problem with my Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-107D. It is a CD-ROM/R and DVD-ROM/R/RW.

:confused:
The device seems to have no problem recognizing regular CDs or burning regular CDs. But yesterday I have encountered a problem with DVDs. I tried to burn a DVD image of Windows Vista (it is all legal. I go to Heald College and Microsoft gives us free software to download and burn, its a student-license-key) and the burner would burn everything fine. Then, when I insert the completed DVD back into the drive, my computer would not recognize the DVD. In My_Computer the drive is shown as: CD Drive. Once I open the tray, it changes to "DVD-RW Drive". Once I insert the DVD back into the computer, the name of DVD drive in my computer changes back to "CD Drive".

Funny, when I insert the same burned DVD into my laptop DVD drive it understands the DVD fine. I tried burning the image on DVD -R and DVD +R disks and both of them burn fine but then neither DVD -R or DVD +R are understood when I insert it back into computer. I burned both DVDs with Alcohol 120%. My Pioneer DVD-RW drive has all the latest firmware installed and showes no problems in Device Manager.

I suspect the problem with the IDE Channels on which my DVD-RW drive is connected, but I want to be sure, before I start unscrewing my tower since its pretty big and packed up inside - too much trouble. :)

Can someone reccomend me something, or is the drive possibly has lived its life?

Thank you guys for any input in advance.

Look for a firmware upgrade to recognize more media types/manufacturers. What version firmware do you have now?

I don't think opening up will help. You might hold off on that.

Odessit05

I have a firmware 1.02f. I was everywhere on the internet yesterday looking for the latest version and it gives me 1.02f. But strangely enough, when I read the specs of the drive on manufacturer's website, they say that I doesn't need any drivers. What is even more strange, when I run the firmware setup, it says that there is no such device in my computer. hm.. when I delete the drive and install it again and run an older version of firmware, it says that I already have the latest version. Does any of this look like a symptom of a DVD drive that has passed away? :)

If you have changed brands of DVD recently and the problem seems to occur with just this brand or a few brands, the upgrade might solve your problem.

In Alcohol, you might also want to look through the settings and remove any settings about ignoring media type and assigning CD-ROM or DVD-ROM book-types to recordable disks, too.

I am having a similar type of problem, different drive though.
Sony DRU-710A updated yesterday with the lastest Sony firmware.(problem occured both before and after the update)
My drive won't recognize when a blank DVD is placed in the tray. So the burning software(Nero 6) just sits there waiting for a disk to be inserted. I've tried two different brands of DVD, although both were +R
The drive has worked in the past, it has been quite some time since I have attempted to burn anything. My hunch tells me Copy Protection software for some sims I have may be preventing the DVD from seeing when a blank disc is inserted.

dave henrie

Odessit05

Thanks all you guys for trying to help me!

I tried everything but nothing worked. I believe that my DVD-RW drive has lived its life, since I had it for eons...well, net eons, but few years. I burned lots and lots of DVDs and CDs with it. I also played with settings numerous times long time ago when I was just getting into computers not really fully understanding everything. :)

I have tried updating the firmware to no avail. Once I run the application, it says that it found my drive and about to update it, but then it says "Update Failed -- Unknown Error". I even, as my last resort, switched IDE channels and jumper settings on the drive - still nothing. So I gave up and went to the store. Got me a Plextor 760A...and that is not the end of my adventures...:)

I learned a lesson - never buy refurbished items. I did. Brand new Plextor 760A was going for $119 at Fry's and right next to the box, I saw a refurbished one for $113. So I decided to buy that one. Besides, it was stated that even though this item is refurbished, it is still under all types of warranties. So I came home, plugged it in and turned on the computer. I go into BIOS. In BIOS this drive is recognized as Plextor PX-716A and not 760A. Ok, I take the manual, look at jumper settings in the manual and look at mine. To my surprise, on my drive there were more jumper pins than drawn in the manual. While there were supposed to be only 2 rows with 3 pins in each, I had 2 rows with 4 pins in each. Turned out that the drive was originally meant to be 716-A but somewhere along the line Plextor made a mistake and programmed the drive to be 760A. So this is how I got a DVD-RW drive with a right "faceplate" and wrong contents. :)

So I went back to the store and finally decided to get a Plextor PX-716AL. I heard it is the best in Plextor line. Installed it and it works great!

Thanks again for your help guys.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online