1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PIONEER recommending firmware update for their DVD burners!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by joeAgain------, Sep 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joeAgain------

joeAgain------ Thread Starter

This is the wording on a Pioneer website notice for their DVD drive/burners:

Quote:"Anyone who owns or uses any of the above-listed products should conduct the free firmware update immediately, prior to using the new high-speed media."

Heres the link:
    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/hs/pioneer.html

2. itsmeitsmeitsme

itsmeitsmeitsme

thanks for the info Joeagain......I just bought a new pioneer a04...this is for only if you will use the new higher speed media

3. joeAgain------

I've burned onto disks that say they can be used up to that speed.

But I'm so new to this DVD stuff(and I thought others might be too)...that I might throw one of those in there that somebody else created and try to read from it in the future. That's apparently the danger to your drive without this upgrade.

I know I never check the speed it was written on before I try to read a disk.

I don't know if others take the time either.

4. itsmeitsmeitsme

itsmeitsmeitsme

yep.....thanks again for the iinfo

5. joeAgain------

Have you ever updated firmware, Itsmeitsmeitsme?

I haven't, but it always sound cool, but a little "scary"(I've heard things can go wrong)

Have you done it successfully?

6. itsmeitsmeitsme

itsmeitsmeitsme

No I have never updated firmware but I have read good and bad stories about it.......Have you burnt any dvds yet with your dvd burner? How did it go and what did you burn....

7. joeAgain------

Yes,
    Nothing exciting though.....HaHa.
    No movies or anything.

Just my family videos that I've captured from our VCR using capturing hardware and software.

They are getting very old and wearing out. I've been working on preserving them all on disks(VCD, SVCD and DVD.

I've also used it as a data back up. (too bad you have to erase everything on the disk and re-burn everything again to add something....and can't just add to it like on a floppy.

8. itsmeitsmeitsme

itsmeitsmeitsme

Do you have a pioneer? I've not really done much with mine yet still trying to learn what I can and cant do....

9. joeAgain------

Yes,
    a DVR 104...it's neat, but everything you can or can't do pretty much depends on the burner software.

One I really like and have is "Nero Burning ROM".

http://www.nero.com/en/index.html#root

It's really user friendly

10. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Thanks Joe, I had recently ordered a new batch of dvd-rw, but had not had to burn anything yet.

11. itsmeitsmeitsme

itsmeitsmeitsme

brooks...did you get your dvd-rws on line and if so where did you get them?

12. Brooks

Brooks Guest

This is at work and we have a city government account through a local supplier called Executive Office that we buy stuff from. We get a pretty good discount and they are only three blocks away.

13. joeAgain------

Hi, Brooks

As I mentioned earlier, it wouldn't affect any R/Ws that you burned.(And their website says the upgrade doesn't change your burners writing speed)

But disks that start coming out soon made at the higher speed could tell our drives to turn so fast they'd fry themselves possibly.(without this upgrade)

that sounds like the issue to me.

the best prices I've seen are at about $0.75 (not R/Ws though)---have you found any better, for us Non-Gov. employees?

14. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Try allmediaoutlet.com. They always seem to have decent prices on generic disks.

Even though it does not effect me yet, I went ahead and applied the patch. Better safe than sorry I say :D

Oh and have you heard about the labtests trying to push CD-burning higher? Seems that when the rotation speed gets beyond a certain level, disks sometimes crack apart inside the burner. Now isn't that a kicker. For the time neing, it looks like about 60 speed with the current technology is going to be about the fastest in cd burners for awhile.

15. joeAgain------

thanks for that disk site.

no, I hadn't heard that. What would be the reason to want that high of a speed anyway?

Brooks,
    I'm trying to reconfigure my dual boot system from having both operating systems on partitions of the same hard drive....to a system where they are on different hard drives.

that would work, wouldn't it?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/96272

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice