1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pirated software

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by somak_de, Jan 23, 2003.

?

how many of you ever used a pirated software ?

1. never

28 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. sometimes

55 vote(s)
    42.6%
  3. almost always

46 vote(s)
    35.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Eccentric

Eccentric

On the contrary. It is your definition that taking the action I propose is 'wrong'. I maintain that where the first wrong is an abrogation of the application of the existing laws then it is right to oppose it. In effect, those that have set the scene as anarchistic are those elements within our society who behave as anarchists, not me. I am only repsonding to the anarchic situation which already exists, created by those who set themselves up to protect me from this sort of behaviour, and who collude rather than exercise their responsibilities.

Therefore we have a wrong and a right equalling a right.

The only reason you say that the second action is a wrong, is that you buy in to this corrupt system, or perhaps have some vested interest yourself ... ?

2. GoneForNow

GoneForNow

Your correct but very few people buy your proposition that the system is corrupt. However, assuming that it is then what you have is also at risk. Sorry but the rule of law shall apply and protect us from those individuals who sua sponte determine that the system is corrupt so they can steal at their leisure.
    As far as vested interest, claiming the system is corrupt to justify theft seems to me to be a bit of self interest.

3. Eccentric

Eccentric

You must have a very limited circle of people to talk to. Most people I speak to totally accept this premise! And this is also borne out by the voting on this topic, where only 21% of people voting advocate never using pirated software. Do we live in a lawless society where 80% of people regularly break the law mindlessly, or does this high figure of people who pirate software tend to back up the fact that a majority of people believe, as I do, that this unacceptable situation should be tackled by taking the only viable action open to them and undermining the basis for it? :confused:

This statement is based on a false premise. If the rule of law WAS applied to protect us from those individuals, this thread would never have been started in the first place. ;)

I don't think we are ever going to agree on this topic, as I would word this statement as Protest at this situation by undermining the basis for it Rigid adherence to the law most often benefits those who stand to gain in some way. It may be that it is just a rigid rule of the individual 'I always stick to the law - breaking the law is morally indefensible under any circumstances.' This can lead to a mindless approach, which is highly dangerous. Were the atrocities committed under the protection of the law against slaves morally defensible 'because it was within the law'? I don't think so. And yet I rarely advocate breaking the law myself. I personally will always try to operate within the law, even to the extent of not speeding, and here I am obviously in a minority of a few per cent, as I see others go piling by me. However, if I hit and killed a kid whilst speeding, I would not be able to live with myself. Others seem to be happy to take that risk. Under these circumstances, which constitutes the greater evil, speeding or pirating? With your stance re. the law, how do you stand on speeding? Or are you one of the people who figure that that particular law is OK to break, and therefore belong to the majority group on that issue? How would you feel, if by breaking that particular law, a child died unecessarily, (and research shows that the odds of a child dieing, who may have survived if the speed limit had been observed, increase hugely just by a 10mph increase in speed)?

Given our obviously opposite points of view, I don't think we are going to get to a point of agreement by continuing this rally, were we to continue ad nauseam, and will therefore acknowledge your democratic right to your opinion whilst reserving my right to disagree. However, the clear evidence of the voting on this forum is that I share views with a group which is approximately 4 times the size of the group that adheres to your views. :)

4. akita

akita

if you were to have three computers in your home, then you can get a multiple liscence for a fraction of the cost of three originals..... besides there are ways around the problem of activation with xp, working for the company you know learn these methods (which i am not going to divulge) !!!

5. GoneForNow

GoneForNow

Ah yes the "if everyone is doing it, it must be okay" argument. You're not serious that the few who have responded here constitute the opinion of TSG or the world for that matter are you? Or it could be the people who consider theft theft don't feel the need to argue the obvious. You can justify theft any way you want from the "it really doesn't cost them anything" to the "I'm just testing it" to "the whole system is corrupt so I'm exercising my God given right to protest by not paying for this software". Its still theft any way you want to present it, slice it or justify it. You are correct that we are never going to agree, however, should you get (hope it never happens) locked up or sued feel free to give me a call. We can argue to the judge about how corrupt the system is.

6. Eccentric

Eccentric

I wasn't using this to justify my argument. I was just pointing out the discrepancy between your statement and the vote.

I accept that this is not a representative sample, however, even you must admit that there has to be a helluva swing for the balance to end up backing your above statement.

Thanks for your offer of support should I end up in jail, but as I currently run no pirated software at all, there is little chance of that. That doesn't mean that it will always be that way .... and I may be happy to benefit from your obvious 'semi-legal' skills in argument!:D

7. Deathdealer

Deathdealer Guest

instead of spending hundreds of dollars on these programs you can get a pirated version but u wont be able to do certain things without a cdkey which is ok......

8. redalert95

redalert95

I stick to demos and the $10 dollar games at wal-mart, unless im on a splurge.

But I am a student and have seen the program inspiration for outlining stuff, its a great program but costs around $50 there is a 30 day demo, but you can only download it once. Personally i dont have $50 to spend on a program so im stuck using my Office 97 software. I would love to have, but dont have the money, and i dont use pirate software. is there another similair cheaper program?

9. RSM123

RSM123

10. redalert95

redalert95

hey thanks

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114860

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice