1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pirated software

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by somak_de, Jan 23, 2003.

?

how many of you ever used a pirated software ?

1. never

28 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. sometimes

55 vote(s)
    42.6%
  3. almost always

46 vote(s)
    35.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. boyoh53

boyoh53

Some of you sound like selfish and self-centred people.:mad:

2. buck52

buck52 Banned

Howdy boyoh53

Not self-centered...just tired of supporting stupid decisions...
    Don't ask me to help you support you and or your child because you can't ...then go and have another one

Hi gbrumb...Sorry I must have lost my mind for a minute ;)
    buck

3. boyoh53

boyoh53

No not directly, but most large families use computers as well and have to be maintained and that costs money.
    You are all sounding like a former female Prime Minister of UK.
    We all knew where she stood.

All kids who want to "get on" with their schooling "need" a computer to make any progress. That is reason we got one, all the rest of the kids had a computer.
    Presuming you are from USA I am rather surprised at the attitude
    coming from you all. The land of freedom and justice.
    When it suits.

4. buck52

buck52 Banned

Bologna... What kids need to do is learn how to work!

buck

5. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

If all the kids were jumping of mountains....

6. boyoh53

boyoh53

True again, but for any decent kind of job now, education is also required here.
    One thing I forgot to thank Mr. G for was the students Office Pack.
    Full cost here around £400.00 for £120.00.
    If I have been rude I apologise, but my heart aches for genuine
    under priviledged people and the extortionate prices charged for computers and software. I rest my case. :(

7. Fyzbo

Fyzbo

I feel bad for those underpriviledged people as well. Just think, they have to rent a place to live not own and they don't have summer homes to go where it's warm and they have no boat for skiing or a membership to a resort. Wait I have none of those things. Wait again, I worked for 2 years saving my money so I can buy my computer. Hmmm? Wait my older sister's computer is my old one with a pentium 75 chip and 16mb of ram, which she was thankful for because before she had to go over the the library to type papers. Yet neither her or I blame microsoft for not having the best of the best all of the time. Interesting.

8. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

What really burns my bottom is the safeguards that are implimented to supposedly prevent pirating of music/videos/ and software. Who do the manufactuers think they work for. What makes someone think that they have the right to make me pay $30 for a music CD and then not be able to make a backup? And software, is anyone here familier with the so called "Fritz Chip" or Pallidium, or CBDTPA? Personally, if I buy a piece of hardware, I want to use it as I see fit, with no-one looking over my shoulder, or threatening to arrest me for modifying it. The same is true for software. This said, most of what I use is freeware, but even this is threatened by microsoft's and Intel's "Trusted Computing Platform". Isn't there some sort of Fair Use Act that gives people the right to obtain information for the betterment of the country?

What's next? Does my family get prosicuted for swapping family photos? How about faxes of kid's report cards? 5 years in prison for viewing a play of Annie, or anything Disney without paying through the nose? Recently, my daughter's school put on a play of Annie, It cost $25 to see it (because of royalties and copyrights).. That meant, it cost my family $150 just to see my own daughter in a play! Ridiculous!

Piracy itself serves a purpose. If a program is good, I'll pay for it. If it works half-assed, then why is it supposedly the "best on the market" according to CNET (the sellout). I'd rather take advice on what to buy from a software pirate than tech tv, or what's in the rags that are pushed on the public and called fair reviews or Honest commecials.

There, I've had my say, Any comments anyone?

9. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

As far as poor underprivledged children are concerned, I've long felt that it's the communities responsibility to educate the children in the next generation, no matter whose they are. If the only way underprivledged children can get this information is by piracy (ether by them, or thier parents) It's not thier fault. It's our failure as a nation. Those who can afford it should buy it, those who can't shouldn't, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have fair access to anything that may furthur thier education.. And no, I don't believe that new song by Christina Aquilara should be stolen, there's nothing to learn from that!

10. Fyzbo

Fyzbo

gotrootdude,

I'm with you on your theory of being able to use our purchases for what we want. Anti-piracy tactics only hurt the people who actually bought the software. Hackers will find a way around it and it will still be pirated, but those who actually payed for it will suffer from the inconvenience.

11. boyoh53

boyoh53

;) gotrootdude, you have said it well, you have a heart and an
    understanding for underprivledged people and children.
    I admire you. ;) :cool:

12. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Underpriveleged children should have access to computers. How about a school or a library though?

I know a low income woman with 3 kids. Their electricity has been cut off several times. Does that mean she should pirate electricity?

If someone diesn't have a car, but needs to drive, should he steal a car?

Should I steal cable for education, because the only way I can learn is by watching discovery channel?

If you steal software so that children can learn, you must be a little confused. The internet is not the only resource out there for education. Not that I believe him, but my dad says they didn't even have a computer when he was a kid :eek: :eek: :eek:

13. boyoh53

boyoh53

Where did I say I stole or suggest anyone else steal anything?
    I think you are getting confused.
    We are talking about software being realistically priced and affordable for everyone.
    If your children were starving for food you would let them die then because you wouldn't steal food for them. :( :eek:

14. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

sorry if I may have taken that the wrong way, but there is a little difference between stealing to feed your family and everyone's deperate need for the newest version of Windows.

15. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Did you see my name, primarily, I believe in an open-source community, and yes, theft of information is what got microsoft where it is today. Knowlege should be free and covered under the Fair Use Act.

If you are a practicing musician, maybe the theft of music under the Fair Use Act may apply to you. Same for a game, if you are a practicing game software programmer.

That doesn't mean that all people should copy and distribute CD's of windows XP, or the newest game.

That means, I believe all online learning institutions should be required to post thier course syllabus and materials. All programmers should post their code.

Copyright law was made to insure that the original creator of a intellectual work could profit from the work as long as possible. This was placed in our laws to promote and reward growth of intellectual work. It was not made to inhibit the intellectual growth of the country. Therefore, if someone makes up a song, he is allowed to profit from the song as long as there is profit to be made from it, but if part of his song becomes part of another song, the original creator has no right under the purpose of the copyright to sue. If I make a product, and you can make a product like mine that does the job better or cheaper , then are you to be penalized by my copyright? No, copyright was originally supposed to mean that I am intitled to the profits as long as it is profitable, If the product is no longer profitable (either by duplication, or improvement), then my copyright by purpose should be voided.

I will say, I have no respect for those people who obtain files off kazaa, or morphous, or any whimp, script kiddie network of traders.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114860

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice