1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pirated software

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by somak_de, Jan 23, 2003.

?

how many of you ever used a pirated software ?

1. never

28 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. sometimes

55 vote(s)
    42.6%
  3. almost always

46 vote(s)
    35.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deuce

deuce

bm I see no problem in your use of the pirated w95. You had paid for your w3.1, and so there is no reason you should have to pay for a full version again just because the disks had become corrupted.

2. bencpht

bencpht

I can't believe I actually read that many replies. Instead of using pirated software, why can't people just get by with the free stuff? Make sure you read Mindpilot's thread about M$ new OS. It's a great reason to go Linux (which is legally FREEEEEEEE).

3. scanner

scanner

Here is another take on this issue , first you are not buying the software but you buy the license to use it, it's the same as renting a house or apartment you don't own the house or apt, one pay for the right to use , and if one want to have a guest or roommate one is free to do so, in my opinion borrowing software is not stealing but being a "guest" of a friend software the friend invite me to use his house\software, which he own the license to use\rent, hence " borrowing" for "inspection" and "evaluation" for a indefinite time but, of course with the intention to pay the high price " after" the software passes the test , and please DO not steal software 'cause you'll deprive M$ of adding one to five billions to his bottomless greed , of course this is a free economy and with the money that these cat's have to buy\influence lawmakers\senators, to pass laws to prevent you from "borrowing" they sometime questionable software, and it's also improper to steal from a thief , and we must always question ; who are borrowing from , is it adobe ?, M$... Roxio, or some of the other rich and influential characters that are getting richer by the hour as some have said M$ CLEARS 2 mil per day on wxp and office alone!, And is deplorable for one to steal from them , like the guy from India he should not "steal" from M$ or Adobe, 'cause stealing software is AGAINST THE LAW and is not recommended by this great forum TSG which I'm a proud member of ( of course TSG is a in part advertising supported site and the owners, rightly so, need to buy a bigger house and possibly newer suv or porsche, and intend to keep the money flowing in to pay for the "expenses" etc, etc) any way my favor is black Ferrari ..... and paying the bloated HIGH prices for software, which are rationalized by the fact that there are "thievery" going on!! Cheers :D

4. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

scanner-giving your cd to someone else is not like having a guest in your house.
    If you rip and distribute your CD, thousands of people could be using it as if it were a fully functional cd and having copies of it would not impact the users of the copies.

but if you shared your house, there would be only 1 house still and many people living in the 1 house which makes it undesirable.
    Thats why there is a difference between distributing something physically real that can't be duplicated at the touch of a button, and copying software.

We don't need copy protection and laws to stop people from putting their houses and belongings on P2P networks, the restrictions are needed with software because it can be cloned so easily.

5. w4rchild

w4rchild

m$ REALLY SUX

6. BrianHed

BrianHed

Use my freemarket system for purchasing software:

-Pirate it.
    -Wait till the price drops to what its worth.
    -Then, purchase it!!

Flawless.......

This works best for games. My price range for a good game is $25-30 ;not the $50 they want when they are first released.

Examples: Half-life $39, GTA3 $29, Car Tycoon $Never!

As for OS'es and App's the system doesn't always work out for the maker. I'm still waiting for OfficeXP to come down to what its worth..... I did buy WinXP upgrade for $99 and tons of free stuff.
    I have the latest versions of Autocad and Inventor but these are for learning their software only. They will get their $5000 when the company I work for in the future buys it for me to work with.

Other examples: Adaware $20, CloneCD $30, TSG Forums $20/yr, Gamespy $20, How to Learn Chinese $39

In closing: I chose this system because it's morally correct and CAN BE DONE. Wouldn't it great to get a car and make payments equal to the worthiness of it! -but you CAN'T...:D

Brian

7. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Why not jack the car and write a check for the blue book value and drop it in the dealership mailbox? Its the same thing...

8. BrianHed

BrianHed

A. I specifically said my system "CAN BE DONE". This means there is a common method to do it and with no repercussions. Compare it to jaywalking- illegal but statistically unenforced.

B. If I could make a copy of the car instead of taking the original then you might have a point. I got a Saturn that turned into a lemon at 37000mi. I would have liked to stop making payments at that point. BUT I CAN'T.

C. I'm paying what the software is worth, so I'm not stealing anything!

My system is flawless until Kazaa, AOL, etc. change their systems.

9. Sydonia

Sydonia

...as for me, I would never pay for buggy software.

10. GoneForNow

GoneForNow

You can rationalize it any way you want but its still theft. Just because your not arrested for jaywalking doesn't mean it isn't illegal.
    You don't get to determine the value of software by illegally copying it and then hope the price comes down so you can buy it at a price you think reasonable. If enough people don't buy the software at the price offered it will come down. Your use while you're waiting still amounts to theft.

Tell you what, you come work for me and I'll let you set your salary. Mind you I won't pay you until you lower your salary to amount I think your labor is worth. Then I'll pay you.

According to you that is morally correct.

BTW, you don't get to determine the value of the software other then to not buy it.

11. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Thats true about software being copies, so no one loses an actual copy of the software, but the programmer loses a sale. Or a hundred sales. Or a thousand.

BTW how much the software is worth is not up to you! Its not your decision to price it. Its up to the creator, seller, and retailer.
    If there was less piracy, especially paid-bootlegs (esp. in Asia, they have more of it there) prices would be cheaper.

12. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

I don't believe less piracy will result in lower prices. The entertainment industry has proven that it isn't going to make a difference. The reverse is the truth. If prices were more in line with what people were willing to pay, there would be less piracy.

Sorry for disagreeing with you on this, Bendanonhu, even though I put you on on a genius level, I just don't think your old enough and or experienced enough to know this yet.

One thing I have learned from experience is that the people that have normally have gotten where they are by being crooks themselves. Sometimes legally, sometimes not.

13. BrianHed

BrianHed

I'm in a silly mood.......

(I got this idea from GotRoot's post)

<sitting in kitchen> Brendandonhu! Come here a minute would ya boy? I know this is a little uncomfortable, but in every young man's life there comes a time for this discussion........I know you have already heard alot about it in school but I am only looking out for your safety. There are so many things going around these days. Son..... do you use a virus scanner?

gbrumb poses an interesting idea>>>>>

:)You couldn't afford me then!!!!!!!!!:)
    Every job should be that way.

Today, I just pondered this:
    I was driving my POS car when I realized that everytime a commercial came on the radio, I turned to another station with music playing. Is this morally wrong! I accepted the product but did not stay to pay (listen to the commercial).

HEHE, I think everyones point has merit but I'm biased to my own habits. See ya all later.

Brian

14. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Yes, the high schools give them out free. But boys will be boys, so they also offer Windows CDs in case you dont use virus protection.

15. Peterds

Peterds

Why pirate its not just pirating but the combination of hardware and timing.
    What I do is buy old software somtimes even junked and put it to use this strategy saves me money from immediatley having empty pockets.Investing in the unknown arena and also allows me not to have to worry about updates with all the fancy new hip software and hardware bugs.
    There is another advantage to mention that is with this approach you can talk to more people that have had the time to tinker with the bugs knowing that alot of people have worked out the bugs is perhaps one of the reasons commercial companies and governments take so long to update a matter of stability and the time for learning curves for thier employees.

I am not implying that we all need to go back and use an Altair or Commodore 64 but simply being behind a 2 years is practical unless you are a deveoper and it is absolutley a must and cannot live without .Old software definitley has benefits from hardware and software point and saves the havoc of desperation that can lead to unnecessarily pirating and trying to keep up with the new not to mention pay extra cost if people would just wait out the tide for calm waters without the need to jump in high seas tides to be drowned.
    Still there are plenty of impatient people sitting ready to rip out every cent out thier valut to buy just anything new and forget that bugs take a year to work out at least and thier investment depreciates without researching thier practical needs
    I have had the experience of buying hardware where the company website mentioned it would support then dropped the driver support so there are probably other cases of almost never providing support and moving on to new hardware if the company drops the driver support project etc and puts out a new hardware to replace what a end user to do pirate because now his programs do not work and find others that do?.
    If I am going to pay for something it should work not this endless bug patching and software patch downloading.I pay with my money to be on the web and to learn with my high speed I dont expect to be downloading tons and megabytes of patches after I have paid for a retail product I expect and that there are many people who have had similar experience problems easily found

Keeping or buying old software and hardware does not mean a bad thing in comparison to paying for piracy or even having older systems that do the job it is better way to resolve the price curb expenditures and let companies know that we are not paying out of emotion but we work hard to obtain our money its not a charitable donation and that we are not sitting outside to be their bug testers either.We are willing to take steps to force them to make the products they promise and support and to charge us for softare based on our loss of time for the goods they promise us in working order.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114860

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice