1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PITCH BLACK!!!(black screen when you press power you know what i mean?)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SmashD, Nov 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SmashD

SmashD Thread Starter

When i press the power button evrythings... looks ok

all fans starts

the led on my keyboard flashes...

but the flashing led on my screen that indicate that it's sleeping does'nt stop flashing.... which mean it does'nt receive any information...

When i press restart it often solve the problem and my screen computer starts perfectly

I JUST INSTALLED A BRAND NEW POWER SUPPLY (hight quality)

.... the problem still there..

If someone know how to get a log file that would help me to determin the problem...

1- Does reseting de cmos could solve sumtin..
    2- To reset cmos i need to remove the bateri for about 30 second ?
    3- does a poor batery could make such problems...
    4- I need hlp

Or if someone have already experienced that problem and could tell me what you did to solve the problem... i just baught a power supply antec 480 :p but i didnt solve anything.... my 3d card is brand new... and my cable looks fine... but who knows...
    pls HLP ME :p

(information about this error must be written in some log files?)

Thanks for replies

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

No, at least 10 minutes.

3. SmashD

SmashD Thread Starter

Thanks... i Think the problem is in the Cmos or its the batery .... anyways both of them are connected...

When nobody helps you exept Win2kpro... you need to figure the things all by yourself...
    and my conclusion is that the problem is probably there because..

My 3d card can play nice graphics during hours and hour without having anyproblems...
    My cpu does a great work too... and my computers can stay on as long a i want and never crashes...
    My screen dont have any problem exept the refresh rate but 21 inch screen lcd.... its normal

There is one thing I didnt mentionned and its :

sumtimes, when i press the power button... my computer gives me this message...

OVERCLOACKING FAILED...... and then i need to reboot and evrythings look fine.

it seem to be the same problem that I have exept that the screen dosent display during that message...

I never overclaoked any parts of my computer and I baught evry part myself (brand new)

Could this message mean that ma bateri is going away and that my cmos doesnt boot correctly...

NeXT thing ill do is reset my cmos and change my battery

THanks Win2kpro now i feel better :p

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

How old is the battery? Check the board manufacturers website and see if they have any BIOS updates available.

5. SmashD

SmashD Thread Starter

My battery is about 1 years and a half old...
    And I already updated my Bios to version 5 out of 8
    (i dont like those kind of thing... I'ts really dangerous...)
    Well... ill do the cmos reset and change the battery...
    I'll update my bios... if nothing else work thanks 4 your advise :p

(Anybody who have suggestion feel free :)

I learnt the correct spelling of BATTERY :p

6. GripS

GripS

The batteries rarely fail. But it is a possibility. Removing the battery to clear the CMOS is not necessary. Look for the 'CMOS' jumper on the motherboard which is usually located near the battery.

1. Disconnect power from the tower
    2. Cycle the power switch a couple of times to get rid of any residual charge left in the power supply.
    3. Move the CMOS jumper from pins 1+2 to 2+3 and wait about 30 seconds.
    4. Replace the jumper to 1+2. CMOS is cleared and all BIOS settings will be at their default setting.

Did you replace the Video card and Power supply in hopes of curing this problem or was there another existing problem?

7. SmashD

SmashD Thread Starter

This is the story of the problem...

1. I was having very rarely a problem when I was booting my computer
    (just after the AMERICAN MEGATREDN LOGO)
    OVERCLOAKING FAILED.... (i was pressing reset and evrything was fine)

2. I changed my 3-d card because i wanted better graphics
    3. This litle problem started to occured (The black screen)
    It happen when my computer have been down for a couple of hour
    if i just shutdown it and put the power back, there is no problem...
    4. Description on the problem--> When the black screen occur I press reset... and then i see this OVERCLOAKING FAILLED then i press reset again to have the computer boot succefully and the computer don't show any problem during INTENSE GAMING or when it's been open all
    day.
    (i think that during that overclaoking porlbem... there is no display so if i solve this OVERCLAOKING thing evrythin would be fine)
    5. I changed the power supply because i taugh it was the problem... now that my 3d card use a power cable...
    6. I'm here... and i really apreciate your help :p

Thanks for trying to help me

8. GripS

GripS

Go into your bios and look for AGP voltage. Typically this will be set to 1.5v. Try upping the voltage to 1.6v.

I would also make sure that you are running the latest chipset drivers. Looks like your running a VIA chipset motherboard so go to www.viaarena.com and download the latest drivers that were just released 11/22.

Ideally you would uninstall graphics drivers. Install chipset drivers. Re-install graphics drivers.

9. SmashD

SmashD Thread Starter

GREAT!! thanks... thats sound good
    I spent all evening looking for answers and yours is the best i heard...
    I must have read a hundred forums talking about this wierd OVERCLOCKING FAILED
    That Asus company inserted that error "echo" just because they were receiving too much motherboard that have been overclocked at the repair department. Now every litle glitch that you encounter gives you this error message... (At least i have a good power supply now). I heard about the suggestion you just made and i was traveling my Bios when i saw those option for the AGP slot... but my opion only offer me 1.5v or 1.7v so i was wondering if i should put it to 1.7v... i read my ATI X800 booklet but ... there's nothing about this...

1.First question is should i reset my cmos...?
    2.There is probably drivers for cpu on the amd web site or you have a better site to suggest me.. ?
    2.should i put my voltage to 1.7 for the agp slot
    3.I was trying to update my Bios to the latest version and then i created a DOS BOOT FLOPPY. I tried to boot from this floppy I got this message..."the COMMAND.COM is not there or corrupted" Why it's not there ??? usually it's there... i mean i already done this and i havent receive this error message anyways mine is in Windows\system32 so ill probably just have to show him the path

4.(it's not really a question but) ASUS SHOULD TALK ABOUT THIS ON THEIR WEB SITE BECAUSE THERE IS SO MUCH PPL HAVING THIS PROBLEM !!!!(what could we do to sell our product...):p

Well, I wait for your opinion to start the procedure... and you can be shure ill remove my graphics driver before installing the chipset via drivers... if there is any.

(I found some Via chipset Drivers for my chipset k8t800, mine must be outdated lol they are from 2003 :( maybe thats a part of the problem... chipset are the link between the cpu the rams and the hardware after all... that could make asus YELL OVERCLOCKING FAILED lol)

THANKS... your the ONE !!! (i feel like this problem is gonna be solve soon...)

10. GripS

GripS

Leave agp voltage alone for now.

Clear the CMOS jumper first if you haven't done so already. This sometimes is a must after flashing the BIOS. Don't go BIOS flash happy as you can render your motherboard useless with a failed flash.

Since your using a k8t800 chipset(me too) and they are dated 2003 then you do the chipset driver update as well as making sure you have the catylyst 5.11 drivers for the video card.

By the way, have you verified your ram with memtest86?

11. SmashD

SmashD Thread Starter

... Thats wierd i wrote to you yesterday but the message disapeared..
    any way i was asking you if i should put my agp voltage to 1,7 cause thats my only option..

and you know... i mess up....

i downloaded the via drivers... installed them downloaded all night my Ati latest driver... (i have a 56 k modem lol the high speed modem is not in my hood)

and when i installed the ati drivers... a glitch happened my ZOne alarm... was'nt working anymore... and i could'nt uninstall it either... so i made a system restore.. before i installed.. the chipset drivers.... what a mess and now when i try to installe the chipset driver again... i got some registre key error.....

man i'll try to fix things up but i now have more the 1 problem...
    I don't know what the hell is causing my computer to **** arround but i'm becoming tired of all this ****....

1. I can't unnistall my ZONE ALARM and i got an error message telling me that some driver

THANKs... :p

Attached Files:

12. SmashD

SmashD Thread Starter

Lol... TSG was having a problem too... i now see the message I posted to you yesterday...

REPORT OF THE SITUATION

1. the Cmos have been reseted(by removing the battery because... i wanted to take a look at it and know the type ... It work when i booted it sais that my cmos was empty.... i need to reconfigure... the bios... i loaded the defaulf thing...
    2. Thats what cause my ROOT SYTEM trouble with Zone alarm... but that thing is solved... thanks god..
    3. I removed all ati sofware and dirver from my computer...
    4.I reinstalled the chipsed dirvers... report indicate that the operation was succesful
    5.IM about to install the new driver (catalyst)
    6. I think i still have the problem...
    7. i read on another forum that a dude with OVERCLAOKING failed add voltage to AGP and that it solve his problem... (i have'nt done it yet)

ok im going ... thanks for helping me
    I FIXED THE PROBLEM of the Zone alarm and the system ROOT... It

13. GripS

GripS

I have only heard of increasing AGP voltage to 1.6 from 1.5. I think 1.7 might be going a little overboard, so I would be a little hesitant to pump that much voltage to your expensive video card. Kind of a bummer your BIOS doesn't allow 1.6v. I'm thinking if your video card has a temperature monitor and it's well under max temp then it might be ok to increase to 1.7v.

14. SmashD

SmashD Thread Starter

I'm glad to know that you have a k8t800... and ill try to see if i can see the temp of my graph card...

ok...

hmm...

you know about cool and quiet system that allow the mhz of the cpu to increase and decrease... DINAMCLY depending of the task.. your doing... well it requires a driver

i INSTALLED that drivers a long time ago and after installing it the steps were to allow this featur in the BIOS .. That's what i made... and then i had this owful problem about my sata cable ---->BLEU SCREEN OF DEATH!!!..( I SOLVE THIS, thanks to TSG) but during this process i put my Bios back to default setting... ( BUT the drivers for cool n quiet still there...) and i have'nt enebled those setting back in the bios...

that seem to play with the clock if im right.....

the thing is what i am waiting for to enabled to featur back... or to put the .. driver i had before installing this one....

How could i get the old one ?

.....Asus gives customer a problem in the package when the sell a board lol...(maybe im wrong... (HURRAY TO CUMPUTER WORLD)

ok well i'm waiting for ur opinion

By the way I have'nt upgraded my bios because my floppy drive seem not really good so .. maybe you have sumting to seggest like making a partition with the dos starting files or burning a c-d.... ( it seem that i cant upgrade it with the online programme maybe because i have a 56 k modem)

I still have'nt installed my catclyst.... ill do it tonight...

never say it enaught but thanks... to keep helping me

15. GripS

GripS

The only thing the AMD processor driver does is enable cool and quiet. This reduces CPU multiplier and voltage (and if the motherboard supports it) CPU fan speed. This should have no effect on the issue you are having.

I thought you had already flashed the BIOS to the latest version? What seems to be wrong with your floppy drive? If it's bad then they are extremely cheap and easy to replace.

In your sig you have your processor listed as an AMD athlon XP 3200+ but you probably have a AMD64 3200+(socket 754) 'clawhammer' or 'newcastle'. The clawhammer runs at 2.0 ghz(1mb L2 cache). The newcastle runs at 2.2ghz(512kb L2 cache).
    Chances are you have the newcastle.

Asus boards are among the most stable. They are a good company and every company has some "bad apples" every now and then.

edit: also wanted to point out that by running 3x512mb your system is likely defaulted at 333mhz. If one of the modules is bad or unmatched it can cause problems. Make sure RAM is out of the equation with memtest86 which can be booted from floppy or CDR.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/421322

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice