1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pixel Shader 3.0 vs 2.0

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dark Elite, May 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dark Elite

Dark Elite Thread Starter

Im looking for a video card, and since im AGP, the only way for me to go (at the area im looking for) is either a x1600pro or a x850xt

But x1600pro has PS3
    and x850xt has ps2.

What are the main differences between them, and what are some games that wont work period without ps3.

I intend to play more, but right now i have, Doom 3, Quake 4, HL2, CS:S, Colin Mcrae rally 2005, call of duty 2, nfs:mw

I know those all work with PS2 as my dad has a x600 on his laptop.

So i ask again, whats the main difference, and what games right now wont work period without it, or will most games work, but only at a ps2 level

2. S132

S132

3. S132

S132

oh and if your choosing between those cards get the x850xt

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Grab a 7800GS if you can swing it. If not, grab the x850xt. PS3 is nice, but the speed of the x850 would cancel out the PS3. No game "needs" PS3 at the moment.

The 7800GS would be very nice.

5. Dark Elite

thast what i needed :D

Im getting the x850xt, good price, good speed, still top-of-the line without ps3

6. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Well, not quite.... Tomb Raider Legend uses it..
    It will work with lesser cards, but it has enhanced graphics that use the new shader 3.

7. Dark Elite

yes, but it still works without it :D

8. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Right, looks good too, I just wish I could see it to compare any difference.
    My 9800 pro is a fast and sweet card, but... Only shader 2. :(

9. acameron

acameron

you could go for an nVidia 6xxx series card...anything from the 6 series on up supports Shader Model 3.0 and the GS can be soft moded to 6800GT (opens up an extra Quad of pixel pipes, from 12 to 16 and a vertex shader, from 5 to 6) with RivaTuner.................

http://www.guru3d.com/article/content/314/3/

here is comparison of X850XT and 6800GT and 6800Ultra the GT is right with the X850Xt performance wise, for the most part anyway :)

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/07/05/vga_charts_vii/page6.html

10. talon03

talon03

any chance of soft modding a 5200 FX to a 7800GT? :D :D

11. acameron

acameron

that would be nice :D

I meant the 6800GS can be soft modded to 6800GT specs :cool:

12. Dark Elite

so if i get a 6800gs is there a easy way to softmod to 6800gt, and then keep it cool with stock cooling?

13. acameron

acameron

Read the article in the first link I posted.....it is in there about using RivaTuner to unlock masked pipes and vertex shaders.....also the dnload for rivatuner is on that site as well......if you do a search on that site for unlocking the 6800GS there is a whole article dedicated to it. just a warning......In the article I linked to they do say that it doesn't work on every single card but it should work on most.

also you can use Rivatuner to overclock the card, but thats not what I am talking about......The chip used on the 6800GS AGP card is the same chip used on the GT...they just masked one of the Quads and one of the Vertex shaders to dumb it down...but you can unmask them and get GT performance ...this should not cause any problems with heat......but read the articles before you make a decision....I do not have one of these cards, my 6800GS is PCI-E and uses a different chip ....I just wanted to throw this option out there for you to see as you were looking for SM 3.0 support on an AGP card.....

14. Dark Elite

He said his quads were damaged, is that something from the overclock/softmod, or was that just some damage from before

15. acameron

acameron

It is from the process used to mask them....some companies hardware mask them (physically damage the chip to disable that part) others use software to mask them which means a program like rivatuner opens them right up. I think the article on unmasking the 6800GS AGP pipes and shader tells you which brand they tested that was software masked ...... You can also google it ....I remember there were allot of OC sites that had articles dedicated to unmasking these features, they will also have lists of cards tested.

I will look and see if I can find the orriginal article......................

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/467113

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice