1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Planetside game by Sony

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by TechGuy, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    Here's an interesting tid-bit for those at Sony: If *I* can't figure out how to download your game, you might have some re-working to do.

So, a friend of mine loves this new Planetside game. I thought I'd sit down and give it a shot. For those who don't know, it's a new massive multiplayer game that charges players a monthly fee for the use of the game (similar to Everquest). At least that's what I'm told. It's hard to tell from the 404s I keep getting from Sony and their affiliate's web sites.

Alright, so I go to their web site, www.planetside.com, and Sign-Up at the top. Fine, no problem. And when the sign up finishes, it thanks me. That's it. No further instructions. I wander around their site a bit and punch the "Sign In" button at the top. Maybe I can download this thing from there, right? Not so. It takes me to https://www.station.sony.com/station/secure/en/registration/registration_confirmation.jsp?null which, as of this writing, displays a generic 404.

My friend finally tells me that I have to click on the "7 Day Free Trial" link on the main page. This takes me to FilePlanet, which informs me:
    Super. So, after about 20 minutes of looking around, I've all but given up on finding a place to download this thing. Apparently you have to sign-up for this FilePlanet web site, too, in order to download the software (which I suppose they think is obvious from the 404 error above).

Finally after signing up for yet another web site, I find a download button! JOY! Oh, wait... apparently they have some sort of waiting line. I have to wait for the 200 people in front of me to finish downloading before I can. Estimated wait time (BEFORE I get to START downloading): 27 minutes.

If I actually have the patience to waste more time with this thing in the future, I might continue my review... we'll see.

All I know is that this had better be one awesome game. Don't tell anyone, but I'm pretty sure the first level is figuring out how to download the darn thing!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173067

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice