1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Play from CD

Discussion in 'Games' started by apinkpony, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. apinkpony

apinkpony Thread Starter

Okay so heres the deal. I have many a little games/little software pieces that I use, but infrequently. But I do use them. At the same time, it annoys me, them sitting there taking up my hard drive space and cluttering my start menu.

So my idea was, okay, put them on DVDs/CDs (depending on size exactly), and when I need it, pop it in and run it straight from there. Now, I believe I've heard of this being done, I'm just not exactly sure how (because the software looks for essential stuff in the same drive (D/C/etc?) right?)

Anyway, has anyone done this or would know how to do this. Thanks.

PS. If possible, would it also be possible with larger games like the Sims/San Andreas. I don't really have a problem with these though since they don't clutter. But that other little stuff... errr.

THanks.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Not legally, no.

In any case, the programs would be looking for a specific area, or something that the original disc will have.

3. Crusnik

Crusnik

If the games don't require you to install them, they could probably run off CD. Like stand-alone exe's.

4. apinkpony

apinkpony Thread Starter

Right. I'm just thinking things like... little free ware softwares I've downloaded, or little games I've bought via download. Why would it not be legal? In any case if I've legally bought it and I'm not distributing it (nor have any intent) then I should be able to use it primarily as I wish.

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I think I misread some of your post.

As for the games, you would be bound by the T&Cs of the company you bought the games from. Check with them if they have any solutions to put the game/s on a cd/dvd.

As for freewares, you should be able to run them from a CD. Just burn them as a standard data disc.

6. apinkpony

apinkpony Thread Starter

Wouldn't the freeware want to search for specific files on the computer like any other software? I mean, I know id be able to just burn the setup files, etc to the CD, but could i actually load it onto the CD and run the program from there in its entirety ?

Thanks.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Very few programs can run independently from an operating system (not installed). Most programs install system files and create registry keys.

8. apinkpony

apinkpony Thread Starter

Right. Thats why I was wondering if their was some form of small exe or something i could put onto the disks to eliminate the problem... or if its just wouldnt happen.

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Again, I misread. there are a few programs that may run on an EXE file, but majority of them like DH mentioned uses registry keys and would be hard to configure them.

10. avalean

avalean

If the program is a standalone .exe file or has one or two .dll files with it, it will most likely work.

Best bet is to just write the things to a CD or DVD, not to uninstall them of your pc, try it on another computer (since yours already has the registry files etc) and uninstall the programs that work there.

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If a program isn't designed to run without being installed, there's nothing that can be done to it to make it work that way.

12. renegade X

renegade X

You can even goes as far as creating an .exe to load at startup on the CD, and select what game you want to play. I have many like this.

If you are not sure if you have a game that is stand-alone, just move the folder to a new location. If it launches, then you can run it from a CD.

13. Crusnik

Crusnik

A few my older games are able to run from different locations, even though they were installed.

I've been able to play Star Craft, Warcraft III, GTA2, and Jedi Outcast II from a USB pen drive.

14. renegade X

renegade X

Oh yeah you bet. Some programs you can just launch, not really sure why there is an install. I am thinking that it was designed for WIN9X.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542166

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice