1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

played about with to many settings

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by fatherted57, Nov 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fatherted57

fatherted57 Thread Starter

I have a problem with my windows 7, I was trying to patch the uxtheme.dll set of files and ended upwith my pc with admin and my name icons on the startup page. I have messed about that much I now cannot run a downloaded compressed file without being asked for a password, but there is no place to put a password. Can you help me please as I am at my wits end. I do not want to re-install all my programs again it took me 5 days when I installed windows 7.

2. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    Have you checked system restore? Do you have any restore points available before you patched the file?

3. fatherted57

tried 3 system restores and it would not restore at all.

4. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

boot the dvd and select updrade this will repair windows..your settings will have to be done again but your apps and user files will be there

5. fatherted57

did not work. tried boot from dvd to command prompt. typed regedit /restore 6 times. I them tried system restore to the earliest date and hay presto its working. I still get an error error no 000847a9 in ct.exe, unable to start performance monotoring. I still have admin and my name on the boot screen is it possible to remove me from this screen as I am the only one using my PC?

thanks for all your help

6. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

To automatically logon without going to the Logon screen, open a command window and type control userpasswords2 and uncheck the box next to "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer".

7. fatherted57

thank you very much, fingers crossed that I dont mess it up again

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/874908

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice