1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

playing .avi files

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by sdp3501, Nov 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sdp3501

sdp3501 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Shawn
    i have never been able to play avi filetypes. i am using windows media player 7.01. i have also downloaded the bonus pack, is there anything in there that can help me?

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

sdp3501
    What happens when you click on an .avi file? If you go to folder options file types is the avi extension listed and is it associated to Windows Media player.
    Dave

3. sdp3501

sdp3501 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Shawn
    no combination of filters could be found to render the stream. where do i go to find the associations?

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

The associations are located in the control panel folders options file types. Once there scroll down to avi highlight it and see what is listed for its association. While you are checking that I am going to see why you are getting the filter message since you said you downloaded them.
    Dave

5. Davey7549

Davey7549

sdp3501
    It appears there are instances of some avi file that do not pass muster for media plaer to run them.
    Have a look at this MS KB article it may shed some light on the problem.
    Click Here for article.
    Dave

6. sdp3501

sdp3501 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Shawn
    i cant find it...i go to my computer/control panel/view/file options

7. Davey7549

Davey7549

Which OS are you running? Win95,98,ME?
    Dave

8. sdp3501

sdp3501 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Shawn
    98 thanks for the link. ive opened them in word or notebook and looked for the codec (or whatever). what about getting a conversion program (shareware or freeware!)?

9. Davey7549

Davey7549

I not the one to ask about conversion programs since I try to limit my downloads however I am sure that someone else here could suggest some. Win98 should have folder options listed in the view section of any folder opened in Explorer if I recall.
    Dave

10. sdp3501

sdp3501 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Shawn
    ok...the folder options im refering to is under the drop down menu and controls how i view the folders on the desktop. am i going into the wrong thing?

11. Davey7549

Davey7549

Maybe we are talking the same. Lets do this open my documents.
    Go to the view tab on top click on it and in the drop down folder options should be listed. Click on that. Than click file types.
    Look for avi and what is its association.

12. sdp3501

sdp3501 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Shawn
    avi isnt there. and when i try to add it it says i cant because it is already used as avifile.

13. Davey7549

Davey7549

14. sdp3501

sdp3501 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Shawn
    i dont see it on the list, but hey, it really doesnt suprise me!!! thanks for the links. ill give them a shot!...an avi player would make millions!

15. Ratfood

Ratfood

A lot of rips use codecs that will not automatically download from the microsoft site. If you have problems watching movies I have found the best solution is to download a codec pack so you don't have to search for all the different codecs and install them individually. Heres my favorite one the Kristal http://screw.wz.cz/test/codecs.htm and theres also the Tsunami Codec Pack thats pretty good (you an find it on google).

A player thats really nice is Zoom player (on google too), it takes less resources than the MS one and I find the controls easier also.

Good luck!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59136

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice