1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Playing Behind In Online Games - Urgent, Help Please

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jleefellows, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jleefellows

jleefellows Thread Starter

I don't know where to start. Because I can't literally describe the exact problem.

When I play video games, whether it be on Playstation Network, a Computer, a Laptop, or anything connecting to my internet modem/router....... I play behind the game by a small fraction of a second. And NO ONE sees it but me!

Now naturally people always say "lag works both ways". But in this case it does NOT do this for me.

I can nail people dead on in a video game, and even if lag exists through latency, that hit would eventually register. However it does nothing of the sort for me. While I can continue to be hit by what looks like thin air, because I am hit before enemies even attack on my screen.

---------------------------------------------
    Example:
    In a First Person Shooter, I will always die before a person fires. Which gives me absolutely 0 time to even react. However, I can shoot a moving person directly head on and miss. I can literally light a person up point-blank and miss most of my shots.
    Even when a person stands still, if I fire at them and then they turn and fire at me. They will kill me while taking no effect to my shot. And then they will tell me that I never fired on their screen.
    People will claim that they do not see me lag. However, every single person lags to me by a small fraction of a second. (How?!)

Example #2:
    In a Third Person Shooter, while in a melee only match, I can dodge an enemy and always get nailed dead on if I do not dodge a second earlier. However, I can nail an enemy and go right through them as they take no effect and dodge me with ease. (How?!)

Example #3:
    With friends helping me to test, we have played in several games. I would dodge a person attacking me and still get hit. Everyone observing, including the attacker, will say they saw me get hit and that I did not even move, let alone dodge.
    I can nail a person directly head on, and do no effect to them what so ever. Where as everyone observing, including the attacker, will say they saw the person dodge my attack and that I missed.
    We have even done a few Fraps'd recordings of what I see through visual so that they can see too.

---------------------------------------------

I don't know any other way to explain this. NO one online seems to be able to help me.

Problem: Playing behind in-game. - No one sees me lagging / Everyone lags to me.

How is it possible that I can show a perfectly connected stream of internet. Have no problems downloading anything. Can watch/stream movies online with several devices connected to the modem/router all at once with no visible lag. And yet in games everyone lags to me while I do not lag to them.

Internet Service:
    -Fairpoint Verizon ADSL
    -Westell 7500 Modem/Router
    -7645 Kbps / 863 Kbps (Download/Upload) - 7.1 Mbps ADSL Service

I connect through a 50 Ft. Ethernet Cord. Even on a 25 Ft. and on a 5 Ft. Ethernet Cord I see the exact same problems still.
    I was hoping that my internet was perfectly fine. That perhaps maybe it was how I had been connected to the internet that could be the main source of problem. But I've yet to test a wireless connection to the modem/router and Ethernet is all I can use.

2. jleefellows

jleefellows Thread Starter

Really hoping someone here can help me solve this problem. The biggest question I do not understand is that this lag is not natural. If there is a latency issue between me and the internet, why does no one see this from me on their screen? Why do I not lag to them but they lag to me? Why do I seem to play behind the game's real-time by what feels like 300ms.

Is my Download throughput doing something wrong that forces me to play behind a bit while my Upload throughput works fine so that no one sees a problem from me? I don't get it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!