playing cds through headphones

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

blake212

Hi all. I am trying to play cds using headphones. Both of my cd drives have headphone jacks. However, when I plug headphones into either of the jacks, I hear no music through the headphones. Does anyone have any ideas that can help me? I am using Windows 98 SE because I haven't gotten XP yet. And yes, I have speakers hooked up to my computer and the cds play fine on the speakers. This is not a problem, but I would appreciate any feedback.

Assuming the CD's you are trying to play are normal audio CD's and not MP3's or WMA format etc, the front headphone sockets should work.

There is a volume control above them but no doubt you have tried turning that up?

blake212

kiwiguy,
Yes, the cds are regular audio cds and I have tried turning up the volume control on the cd drives without any success.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I'm confused, since I've always been able to plug into the phone jack and listen to the CD's...

blake212

I do not know why my cd drives will not let the headphones work either. The headphones work when I plug them into my tape player or walkman. I have even tried
changing the properties on my cd drives to analog instead of digital, with no success.

Couriant

James
lol the headphone socket on CD drives are not controlled by Windows. To use that socket you use the functions on the CD Drive. You should have a couple of buttons like next (>>>), sometimes back (<<<) and stop/eject on the same button. Those what control the CD Drive. The sound is not channelled into the sound card. It's pretty much like a CD Player.

Put a CD in. Close anything that comes up on your screen. With your headphones in, click the >>> or the other button that is not the eject button and it should work.

Couriant

James
lol the headphone socket on CD drives are not controlled by Windows. To use that socket you use the functions on the CD Drive. You should have a couple of buttons like next (>>>), sometimes back (<<<) and stop/eject on the same button. Those what control the CD Drive. The sound is not channelled into the sound card. It's pretty much like a CD Player.

Put a CD in. Close anything that comes up on your screen. With your headphones in, click the >>> or the other button that is not the eject button and it should work.

blake212

Tidus4Yuna,
It worked. I put a cd in and closed the cd-playing program that popped up. Then, I pushed the button on my cd drive that is not the eject button. The cd came through my headphones right away. Thanks for your help in solving this problem!

Couriant

James
(y) anytime

Note that the volume is controlled by the external volume control on the CD drive and not the volume control panel in windows.

Other than that, happy listening :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online