1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

playing cds

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by mls1282, Jan 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mls1282

mls1282 Thread Starter

I try to play a cd, and when I go to My Computer, I don't see the regular cd icon for the D drive; instead I see the windows icon. And when I try to look at the files in windows explorer, it says cannot find PROGRAM.exe. So I can only play my cds in Windows Media Player...What's the deal?

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I'm not sure about the icon problem, but it sounds like you do not have a default association for playing audio cds, or the one you had is no longer installed.

There are several ways to correct this. One is to select (highlight) an audio cd file and then shift+right click on it. Select "open with" from the dialog and then select your preferred media player from the list. Check "always use" and OK.

You can also use Folder Options>File Types. Find the AudioCD entry and select "edit" (twice). Browse to your prefered media player and select it.

A third option is to look in the preferences dialog of your media player for file type associations and ensure it is selected as the default

Are you able to "Explore" a CD by right clicking on the icon in My Computer? You can easily use the first method after doing that.

3. slipe

slipe

Boot in safe mode and remove the CD-ROM drive in device manager. There might be more than one which can cause problems – delete them all. Go to My Computer or Windows Explorer and right click on the D drive. Your indications are screwy enough that there might be an option to delete it. If there is do it. Reboot into normal mode and it might well be normal.

4. mls1282

mls1282 Thread Starter

How can I be sure that if I remove the cd-rom drive in safe mode that I will be able to play cds at all??

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65225

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice