1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Playing DivX movies in Windows Media?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by plzhelp, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. plzhelp

plzhelp Thread Starter

Hi all!

I have the divx 3/4 codec which i downloaded. I was wondering if there is a way to get DivX movies to play in Windows Media Player or RealOne player. I dont wont the DivX player from www.Divx.com which comes with all the nasties. Is there a better alternative?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions. :)

2. hewee

hewee

What are the nasties in the DivX player?

3. plzhelp

plzhelp Thread Starter

ads/spyware :(

4. hewee

hewee

I have it set so it does not get online so don't see the ads.
    Ad-aware and spybot has not found any spyware either.

5. Petlydecker

Petlydecker

Download and install Nimo's Codec pack 5.0. The website to download the file is www.softnews.ro/public/cat/11/2/2/11-2-2-12.shtml I use it with my Windows Media Player 9. The codec pack makes it possible for me to play any type of video or audio file I want with the exception of RealPlayer or Quicktime. For that download RealPlayer Aternative codec or Quicktime Alternative Codec.

Boy I wish someone could have helped me out when I had computer questions!

Good luck!

Forgot to mention you should remove the DivXPlayer before installing the Nimo Codec Pack to be on the safe side.

6. plzhelp

plzhelp Thread Starter

i dont have a divxplayer i just a the codecs. is that what you are talking about? i will check out the site you referenced above.

thanks!

7. Petlydecker

Petlydecker

I would remove the DivX codec you installed before installing the Nimo Codec Pack. I don't think the Nimo Codec Pack will write over the codec's you installed for DivX. I would look and remove them from the Add/Remove icon in the Control Panel.

8. Fredledingue

Fredledingue

9. karbo

karbo Banned

Go the the Kazaa lite web site and download the K-lite Codec Pack. No spyware at all. Nimo has spyware. If you download WMP 9, it automatically reads avi files (divx).

http://doa2.host.sk/index.htm

10. plzhelp

plzhelp Thread Starter

hmmm, so many to choose from...lol

well, i really dont like anything associated with kazaa whether lite or what not. Petlydecker suggests Nimo but Karbo says it has spyware. Fredledingue suggest ffdshow and says it doesnt have spyware. i will look into this one.

i like Windows Media but its version 7.01. i thought this would play the divx movies once i downloaded the codecs. Karbo says WMP9 plays divx. im still running Win98SE and have no plans on upgrading to XP. is WMP 9 just good on XP? if so i will just keep my current version.

thanks for the infor guys :)

11. Petlydecker

Petlydecker

You have to decide for yourself. I have installed Nimo's Codec Pack and have not been hit with spyware. I have Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad-Aware installed. Good luck to you.

12. hewee

hewee

Try BSplayer

http://www.bsplayer.org/

It works good. Don't think there is an install either. Just keep it all on it's own folder when you open the up the zip. I got the zip download and used that one. There is an installer download also.

13. Sancho

Sancho

i use the k-lite codec pack and bsplayer. both are very good, and spyware free.

14. karbo

karbo Banned

15. plzhelp

plzhelp Thread Starter

thanks for the advice guys!!! (y)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167523

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice