1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Playing Games on 'Limited Account' VS. 'Admin Account'

Discussion in 'Games' started by randell6564, Oct 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. randell6564

randell6564 Thread Starter

Hey Folks!
    I'm running XP Service pak 2. I have three user accounts..Me as 'Administrator', and two 'Limited Accounts' for my wife and son.
    My son is a gamer. I installed 'Call of Duty 2' from my account, and it shows up on my sons desktop, but he can ONLY play it on MY desktop! I know it has to do with administrator access, but what the hell? One can only play games/online games on Windows XP if he/she is a System Admin?!
    Is there a way to modify my sons account so that he can play this game on his own desktop?
    Thanks!

2. randell6564

3. McTimson

McTimson

As far as I know, you have to have administrator privileges to install and run COD2. I don't know of any way to get around it, other than possibly assigning program specific administration rights, but I really am not sure how to do that.

4. randell6564

Thank You for your reply, my friend!
    Yeah, I installed the game as Administrator. But figured, since it shows up under Start>All Programs>Call of Duty on my sons desktop, he could play.
    The whole point is so a child cannot screw up my computer! So, if I have to log him onto MY desktop in order for him to be able to play, then he will be able to download harmful files! What good is having more than one user account then?

Again, Thank you for your time!

5. McTimson

McTimson

Yea, I'm not really sure why it needs administrator privileges...probably for some network settings, but to me, it sounds like poor programming on their end. I can understand forcing administrator rights to install it, but once it's installed, anyone should be able to play, if you so choose.

6. gamerbyron

gamerbyron

It happened to me also in FEAR, it sounds like its a punkbuster or something, I think punkbuster prevents limited account people to play games online. (recent only)

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Well perhaps a way around it is to go to the folder that has COD installed and give the limited account full rights to that folder and see if that helps.

I know most games now are giving the option to install for all users

8. BlooChoo

BlooChoo

yeh i was jus about to say..the folder and all the files within need to be set up to run on his account...so...log in as yourself (admin) right click the folder and go to properties...then go to security, and that will have a list of all the users on the computer....click on your sons account and then click on the allow full control check box...that will allow ur son full control to that folder...same as adimn but locally for the folrder

9. randell6564

Thanks to all of you!

10. BlooChoo

BlooChoo

do make sure u let us know if anything helpped

11. randell6564

I'm sorry BlooChoo. Maybe you are thinking that I'm using 'Vista', because the only available options when right-clicking on a folder are, 'Sharing' and 'Customize' under Win XP. So what I was thinking is that I need to either copy the COD game folder over to 'Shared Documents', or just Move it there. But That creates another problem. When attempting to start the game, it can no longer find the folder.
    SO, heres another idea :) How about if I RE-install the game and instead of installing to 'Program Files', I install instead to 'Shared Documents?

12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    that shouldn't have to happen.

13. randell6564

Uh.,Ok...
    Could you, uh, maybe expound a little? :)

14. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    sorry :) I mean you shouldn;t ahve to do that to get your limited account to work with the game.

Have you checked the website for CoD for any known issues?

15. BlooChoo

BlooChoo

also...the security tab is avalable in the admin account for XP...iv been using XP long enuf to know that:) but yeh..seriously..it shud be ther...if its not ther for the root folder..then go inside an do it for the .exe application of the game

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/638042

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice