playing games problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

shortyrock21

hey guys,
i dont no where to write this but

my set up is a

AMD barton 2500+
512mb pc2100 RAM
ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
111gb hard drive

and i recently upgraded from a geforceTi4200 to a geforce 6600gt.
theres a big difference and alot of people said i would be able to play alot of games nicely...I installed the drivers from the disk and then got drivers off nvidia website that were newer.The problem is my computer is going to a black screen and pretty much crashing when i start a game i tryed counter strike source and battlefield 2 both games i heard my video card could handle it the settings were on low i dont know why any ideas some said i dont have enough ram some said it dont matter.i can do normal things but not games.i also check for drivers and directx 9c.i even heard my cpu is too old.what can i do

thanks

You're in the right place.

First thing that comes to mind with that card is.....what size power supply do you have? If it is not big enough (400-450W and above) you will always have problems. The card rtequires extra power from the P/S as it can only get 46W from the AGP slot, which is not enough for it.

Your processor should be fine, as I believe it is a 1.83ghz, so should be powerful enough. That should also be enough ram at 512, although it might be a bit tight sometimes during gaming.

If none of the above apply, you might want to completely uninstall the G-card and reinstall it again, removing all drivers (do a google search for a driver removal tool, as windoze doesn't clean house very well).

Scorp.

shortyrock21 said:
hey guys,
i dont no where to write this but

my set up is a

AMD barton 2500+
512mb pc2100 RAM
ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
111gb hard drive

and i recently upgraded from a geforceTi4200 to a geforce 6600gt.
theres a big difference and alot of people said i would be able to play alot of games nicely...I installed the drivers from the disk and then got drivers off nvidia website that were newer.The problem is my computer is going to a black screen and pretty much crashing when i start a game i tryed counter strike source and battlefield 2 both games i heard my video card could handle it the settings were on low i dont know why any ideas some said i dont have enough ram some said it dont matter.i can do normal things but not games.i also check for drivers and directx 9c.i even heard my cpu is too old.what can i do

thanks
sounds like you did not connect the extra power supply to the card, read the directions for the card carefully. I would also get a good quality psu 400 or greater, Antec, Enermax, Enlight, Sparkle

shortyrock21

i even recently attempted to play any game and its been crashing so i send a email to the company

shortyrock21 said:
my case has 420w power supply(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811144026)

and here is the card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150089

im not sure what you mean about adding extra power supply to it ill try to read the book that it came with agian
if you look at the end of your card furthist away from the plug you should see a 4-pin molex plug just like the ones your hdd uses, this needs to be connected for card to work properly. Your case has a very cheap crappy psu, your whole case was $60 with psu a good 420watt psu is probably $60 and up just by itself.

I would seriously consider getting a good power supply especially since your a gamer who is going to be stressing your system on a regular basis, a good power supply can keep things running better and cooler.

shortyrock21

im gona try connecting the wire to the video card says it in the manual but i didnt read and just pluged it in

shortyrock21 said:
im gona try connecting the wire to the video card says it in the manual but i didnt read and just pluged it in
well that will certainly give you a chance for it to work anyway, thats why it was crashing when you tried to start a game, the agp slot alone doesnt have enough power for todays high powered gfx cards, hence the extra connector, just as a note the gfx card should be on its own line with no other devices on it.

just a note on the power supply, when you buy a new case, if the ad doesnt proudly show you the power supply, dont even think about buying it. if you look at your ad they show off all the shiny fashy lighty thingies, but not one picture or one word about the power supply, that means it is crap, and they want to blind you with all the lighty thingies so you wont notice. the best thing if you can is to buy the case you like without a psu, otherwise just plan on chucking the el-cheapo one in the parts bin as a test unit or whatever, and buying a real one for your system. A psu is no where to save money, as has been preached time and time again here on TSG. Just a word to the wise.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts