1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

playing games video card??

Discussion in 'Games' started by Royalshockey, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Royalshockey

Royalshockey Thread Starter

I don't want to make this long and confusing, but here is my problm. I used to be able to play any games on my computer. However, recently, I've been getting errors like make sure you have directx 8.1 or higher installed, well i know i do. I was able to play command and conquer Generals before, now when I play it gives me this error. Could something be wrong with my video card?? Could it be the Ram in my video card by any chance?? if so, how could I clean that up??

Dave

please feel free to email me about this also......

[email protected]

2. WarC

WarC

Download the latest version of DirectX. That'll more than likely solve all your problems.

3. Royalshockey

ok, i tried downloading the new directx from microsoft's website, now here is another problem I am having I forgot to mention. Whenever I add a new game program onto my computer, the boot process takes forever, so restart the machine and go through step by step confirmation. Here i see, as Windows attempts to update files this appears........

Windows could not upgrade the file %1 from %2
    %1: %2

this same thing happenned after i downloaded and installed the new Directx.

Also I at least thought I had a newer directx from being installed by certain games, but when I run dxdiag i get this .......

Warning: It appears that the installed version of Directx (4.09.00.0902)is newer than the version of DxDiag (4.08.00.0400) some information repoert may be innacurate you should use a newer version dxdiag.. Where do I find a new DxDiag... and what could this and all the information I included above mean???

Dave

4. scmazter

scmazter

I'll just say my favourite thing to say, u might have a virus.
    Run housecall and see if it turns up with anything.

I don't think u need a new dxdiag program, because I have directx9, with no problems.
    Did you recently install any new hardware or software or windows update?

5. Royalshockey

I really should have looked into that before, I get intermittent errors when logging in. However, I did the housecall scan, and nothing showed up, I have norton internet security with firewall, and whenever I do my virus scan there, it seems to get stuck after it goes through 37,000 files, just seems to stop all the time in my c/hp/bin maybe there's just a large amount of items for it to search through......but i'm really beginning to get frustrated with this, thinking of doing the fdisk reformat and recovery process

6. Dr3w

Dr3w

yah that might be your best bet just reformat, reformatting is good anyways i try to reformat every couple months although i havent in a while cause im playing a game (simcity4) and if i reformat ill lose all my saved files. But yah reformatting definitly sounds good

7. scmazter

scmazter

dr3w, you can just back those up onto a cd rom.

Royalshockey, wat errors do you exactly get?

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

9. Royalshockey

thank you very much for these links, they helped allot :D

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You're welcome, glad to hear it :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171009

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice