1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Playing guitar

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by ekim68, Dec 28, 2010.

Advertisement
  1. RT

RT

(y)
    That was sorta awesome!
    1939???
    Did you notice how the guitar had the neck extended only for the treble strings?

Mike I had to get a drink and smoke a cigarette ;)

2. ekim68

ekim68 Mike Thread Starter

poochee likes this.
  3. RT

RT

Nice one! Always liked the Santana sound, never could duplicate it myself, and Benson is a smoothie :cool:

4. ekim68

I always liked George's way of playing octaves through the use of chords. I just use two notes at a time for that and I have a lead in my Blame Greed song that showcases my puny two strings...:) Have you ever listened to much of Wes Montgomery? He also used chords for individual notes and melody lines. For someone who really didn't live very long he put out a lot of good music....:cool:

5. RT

RT

Yeah, I used the two note octave technique sometimes...and it's interesting you mentioned that, as I'd been thinking (long before you posted) that I never used it in the most successful band I was in, I've thought many times since I should have used that in certain tunes.
    But that's re-thinking stuff that was done in the '80s! Too late now! :whistle:

One other thought concerning that technique, in a previous band we had an arrangement of Gloria that we first played straight up, then jazzed it up in the middle, double tempo...used that octave style to seemingly good effect...we weren't doing a gig at this bar, but were invited up to play a few tunes...using their unfamiliar instruments ...that song resulted in a dance floor so crowded, I nearly had to lean on the back wall and could barely see any of the other band members. We got a better reaction from the crowd than the band that was hired that night!
    Sorry, that's just a good memory for me and more than you want to hear. But I wish you were there! :rolleyes:

Wasn't familiar with Wes Montgomery, so I had a look and a listen...pretty sweet! Thank you! :cool:

6. ekim68

That brings back memories of some bands that I used to play in back in the day. At first, being a teenager, I started playing for the Groupies....Then in later bands we attempted to make some money and at one time I calculated that during all those years my Gross income was $26.00.....After that it was for the Music...:cool: I've written over fifty songs and about another twenty little melodies that I'm slowly putting up on YouTube...I play whenever I can which is almost every evening... I'm getting too old to take any time off because I need to use it, or lose it...

7. ekim68

8. RT

RT

Yup! Ya got me, brother! ;)
    I was listening and thought how cool it would be to remove about 99.9% of the audience folks and just be camping, sitting around a campfire with that being played by that guy! woo :cool:
    John surely knows his instrument, he doesn't even look sometimes.

Now playing guitar, one sometimes aspires to be fast and furious - I'm guilty. But in doing that you sometimes neglect the song, the tune, and just want to show off. Sometimes it works, sometimes not so well.

Well some people can be rather arrogant, self-righteous about their playing, I've known a few, and in the "shredding" style, here's one of them (IMHO), but no denying he can pick!

Yngwie Malmsteen

So you mentioned playing for Groupies, I get it! With The Untouchables band at our peak we got $1400 per gig for some frat parties. Made enough $ to buy a van to haul our EQ in (complete with a logo paint job). Otherwise around town it was the door charge. Our worst income was $4.00 per person for that one gig. Oh well , ya got your ups and your downs :)

9. ekim68

10. ekim68

Whoa, thanks for the introduction of Yngwie Malmsteen.... Oh to have Young Fingers again....:)

RT likes this.
  11. poochee

poochee

12. ekim68

13. poochee

poochee

For RT's post.:)

RT likes this.
  14. ekim68

poochee likes this.
  15. ekim68

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971185