Playing guitar

ekim68

Mike
I don't use picks anymore......... Mostly.... But 20 bucks is a rip off.... Go to the recycled picks and get 3 for a dollar.... If you hold the pick in the right way, the guitar will sing... :cool:

RT

I used copper picks for a while. They didn't break and I got some nice harmonics.

So - How 'bout a version of the old Kansas tune but guitars cover the keyboard parts..

ekim68

Mike
I always wanted a Marshall but then I got older and my Rock days were gone. (My Grandson gave me a Marshall portable radio so I guess that counts..) :eek: :cool:

ekim68

Mike

Phoenix guitar takes a modular approach to tone

Around this time last year, we featured an interesting prototype electric six string from startup Fern Guitars that allowed players to install pickup modules in a host body, without having to break out the soldering iron. Now the Phoenix guitar has launched on Kickstarter to raise production funds.

Ordinarily, changing a guitar's pickup configuration involves some serious hands-on work that includes soldering, rewiring and could even see tone tinkerers having to do some routing to accommodate different pickup shapes and sizes. And you could quickly end up with a very ugly instrument indeed if you keep chopping and changing to suit different studio or stage needs.

ekim68

Mike

Review: Lava's Me 2 carbon fiber guitar is a next-gen surprise package

Lava Music has attempted to push the acoustic guitar into uncharted territory with the Me 2. Its smooth one-piece body and honeycomb-reinforced soundboard are made from super-strong, super-lightweight injection-molded carbon fiber, for starters, giving it a strangely alien and minimalist look unlike anything else, as well as the ability to operate in a ridiculously broad range of temperature and humidity levels without warping itself out of tune.

RT

to replace the old one that got stolen.
Hate to hear you were robbed, burglarized...it's like being violated -that sucks I know!👎
Glad you got a new one (y)
I always wanted a Marshall
Me too!
I've owned a few Les Paul's but never made the match with a Marshall unfortunately
That's a classic combo.

Last edited:

ekim68

Mike
Still playing even with a finger nail trying to escape... :eek:

finger.jpg

Reactions: RT
Phosphorous or NIckel which is better? Does one last longer, and does one sound better. I am asking because i see those two around all the time.

ekim68

Mike
When I played Electric I used Nickel a lot because my pickups liked them and they resonated for a long time. Nowadays I use Phosphor Bronze on my Acoustic guitar and the sounds carry really well and I can get some good harmonics with them.. :cool:

RT

I think the trick with picks is that you have to find the thickness that responds to the way you play.
Flex makes a difference, you have to feel the guitar but still be in control..
Too thick I can't really feel it, too thin I seem to miss half the notes.

(BTW Mike, :cool: T-shirt :))

I have some more questions:
1) When you string your guitar do you use a special knot or do you just put the string in the hole and start twisting away? (the tuning peg)
2) Does it make a difference how you string your guitar?
3) Also, what kind of strings do you use?
4) Do you get them online or in a store. I've heard strings have a shelf life. One can buy strings that are flat because they've been sitting in a store for years.
5) What are the best strings to buy, Martin, Elixir or D'Arrio?

RT

Mr Yar,
Question 1) I just put the string in (with a little slack) and give a sort of a wrap around then continue tightening with the tuning key.
There's also a little crank you can buy that will make quick work out of that chore, only costs a few bucks.

Question 2) Not really, just put the right strings in the right place :) No knots needed, tension holds every thing in place, so you need at least a few wraps around the peg. And you should have some excess that you'll want to trim off, but some don't bother.
It also helps if you string things in same direction, so you'll know that if you turn the peg one way or the other you'll know if you're tuning up or down ;)

Question 3) Working at a music store I had the chance to try a lot of brands. I seemed to prefer D'addaria for acoustic and classical and mostly used Ernie Ball lights for electric. Always bought an extra G and high E string for electric, for they seemed to break the most in gigs.

Question 4) Well, in my case the store I worked at! ;) Never bought strings online, but I don't see why not if the price is right.
And yeah, they do have shelf life, metal based they can rust over time.
Not sure about catgut/nylon strings....pretty sure they won't rust, but will wear out :)

Question 5) The best strings are the ones you like the best! I encourage you ,my friend, to try different ones over time and you'll find the ones that suit your budget, and more importantly suits the way you play and sounds good to you. It's purely a personal choice (y)

Addendum:
Metal strings loses the tone and responsiveness after being played a while. The oils and sweat from you hands and stuff will dull the sound. Now I've tried cleaning them with alcohol and acetone, but it makes them feel squeeky weird, no substitute for a new set.
It takes a day or two for new strings to get used to their new environment so you may have to tweek your tuning now and then.
One trick I learned was to give them a bend or pull on them so they would seat/tighten properly, seemed to help keep the thing in lasting tune better :)

Mr Yar,
Question 1) I just put the string in (with a little slack) and give a sort of a wrap around then continue tightening with the tuning key.
There's also a little crank you can buy that will make quick work out of that chore, only costs a few bucks.

Question 2) Not really, just put the right strings in the right place :) No knots needed, tension holds every thing in place, so you need at least a few wraps around the peg. And you should have some excess that you'll want to trim off, but some don't bother.
It also helps if you string things in same direction, so you'll know that if you turn the peg one way or the other you'll know if you're tuning up or down ;)

Question 3) Working at a music store I had the chance to try a lot of brands. I seemed to prefer D'addaria for acoustic and classical and mostly used Ernie Ball lights for electric. Always bought an extra G and high E string for electric, for they seemed to break the most in gigs.

Question 4) Well, in my case the store I worked at! ;) Never bought strings online, but I don't see why not if the price is right.
And yeah, they do have shelf life, metal based they can rust over time.
Not sure about catgut/nylon strings....pretty sure they won't rust, but will wear out :)

Question 5) The best strings are the ones you like the best! I encourage you ,my friend, to try different ones over time and you'll find the ones that suit your budget, and more importantly suits the way you play and sounds good to you. It's purely a personal choice (y)

Addendum:
Metal strings loses the tone and responsiveness after being played a while. The oils and sweat from you hands and stuff will dull the sound. Now I've tried cleaning them with alcohol and acetone, but it makes them feel squeeky weird, no substitute for a new set.
It takes a day or two for new strings to get used to their new environment so you may have to tweek your tuning now and then.
One trick I learned was to give them a bend or pull on them so they would seat/tighten properly, seemed to help keep the thing in lasting tune better :)
This is what I needed to know. Thanks ;)

Reactions: RT

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online