Tech Support Guy banner

Playing guitar

156K views 1K replies 39 participants last post by  ekim68 
#1 ·
Seems like a good place to share ideas and tips on playing the guitar. I'm an old rocker who was influenced by The Ventures, and later Eric Clapton and Jimi, and nowadays Joe Satriani and Paul Gilbert....
On chords: My suggestion on playing chords is to start with a song you know, even a simple two chord song, and play it over and over until the strings don't rattle. :)
On dexterity: I have an old 1929 Royal manual typewriter that I bang on to build up strength in my fingers. (It helps to type a variety of letters to change the memory of your fingers..;) )

#2 ·
excellent idea for a thread.......so far I have accumulated a vast wealth of guitar expertise, all of it in the form of a guitar. After that, I'm kind of at a loss. :)

#11 ·
Two guitar CDs I highly recommend are:
1) Segovia - Canciones Populares - Eliot Fisk (Ref: Classical Guitarist) (Note: no link to audio available)
2) Saudacoes - Egberto Giamanti & son Alexandre (listen to Egberto Gismonti: Guitars That Dazzle) w/article and picture). Note: Egberto plays a 16 string guitar! and this is a 2-CD album.

For an Electronic Rock Guitar T-Shirt (playable/also kid's version) visit ThinkGeek.

-- Tom

#13 ·
wow........rather surprised I'd not heard of him. After a bit of research, the stuff he did with Shakti just blows me away.....

thanks, Mike.......:up:

#14 ·
He's been one of my favorites for a long time Tim. When he was with the Mahavishnu Orchestra and was playing with Jan Hammer and Billy Cobham and later Jean-Luc Ponty they could fill up the notes...;) :up: A couple of years ago he played in one of Eric Clapton's 'Guitar Concerts', I believe they made a live copy on DVD, he was still up to form and speed. He played with just two drummers and was fascinatingly ridiculous...:cool:

#15 ·
I've heard of Jan Hammer, but the others, save Clapton, nada.......actually pleasantly surprised by this guy. Again, Mike, thanks for the link.....