1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Playing MTS videos on Windows Media Player

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Alex Ethridge, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I have a Windows 7 system that is running all Windows Updates available as on today. I assume it is running the latest edition of WMP; but, I can see no way of determining the version. It plays MTS (movies made on a Panasonic Camcorder) files just fine.

Now the problem:

I have another system here running WinXP with all updates available for it as of today. Again, I cannot determine which version of WMP. It will not play MTS files. It is running a Intel Core 2 CPU 6300 $ 1.86 GHz and 2 Gigs of RAM. It stops at a screen that says it is loading but remains black indefinitely with no progress indicator.

Any advice?

Am I just going to have to go to Win7? I know there are other programs that probably will play MTS; but, it would be nice if I could get WMP to do it without having to go to Win7.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is the codec installed in XP? Scan an MTS file that you want to play and find out what codec it uses. Then, find it and install it. I've got my WMP playing all formats from .ra to .mov just by adding the codecs.

Tools For Analyzing System and Media Codecs:

GSpot Information Appliance (video codec identification utility)

CodecInstaller (System codec and media analyzer and installer)

InstalledCodec (Shows all codecs, enable/disable)

VideoInspector (codec and media analysis)

MediaInfoGUI (Shows format/codecs/properties of audio and video files)

Sherlock (checks audio and video files, codecs versions, broken codecs, etc.)

AVIcodec (media analyzer)

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I tried one of those you referenced from SoftPedia; but, it wanted to install a real bunch of garbage on my system, wanted to change my home page, my default search provider and a bunch of other stuff. I read something about that recently that several download sites have started doing that.

I would rather buy something outright than deal with that garbage.

Any suggestions where I might find something not laden with crapware and intrusive configuration adjustments?

I have nero 7 Ultra and Nero 9; but, it seems those won't do it either.

4. Firebreather

Firebreather

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

A great deal of freeware these days comes with extra junk. All you have to do is choose not to install it. It seems a small price to pay for a good program.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031432

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice