1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Playing Old games on a new comp.

Discussion in 'Games' started by PatternWolf, Feb 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PatternWolf

PatternWolf Thread Starter

Just for nostalgia value, I tried to play mechwarriors 2 mercenaries, one of my favorite games growing up. I have a much faster comp than the last time I played this 1900 amd, 512 ram.
    I installed it and I tried to play it, but I get a black screen for a moment and then it immedialty closes. Is there a way to play old games on a fast comp?

2. Sponsor

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    depends if the old OS was windows 95 and new one is XP.

On Windows XP:
    If the game is a DOS game, then XP will not support it natively. You will need a DOS emulator, like DOS BOX to run it.

If the game is intended for Windows 95/98, you can try the compatibility tab. Right click the .exe file for your game, click properties. Under the Compatibility tab, check the Run program under: then select Windows 95 or Windows 98/Me in the drop down box. Apply/OK it and then try running the file again.

4. PatternWolf

Thanks for the answer, I tried dosbot but I can't get it to play because it says there's no CD in when there is.

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    did you mount the CD-ROM?

6. PatternWolf

Just did, and I found the right exe file to start the game. But there's no sound and it looks like it can run without the cd.

BTW it said to mount the cd drive by typing mount D D:\ -t cdrom. the cd doesn't run when I access the game though, so I don't know if it worked or not.

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    You may have to set your sound settings, though it's been a while. Let me check into that.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/441639