1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

plays audio but not data

Discussion in 'Games' started by AnnaG, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnnaG

AnnaG Thread Starter

I have problems with a cd rom. apparantly it only plays audio cd's but no games or programs.

few years ago I fixed a computer with this problem by reinstalling windows again. However; I would like to avoid that now if possible. The problem few years ago was that an audio program was downloaded and let to overtake windows default settings. Then the program was removed and that is when the problem started.

I am pretty sure this is the same problem, but this time i would like to fix it without reinstalling windows.

Thank you

Anna G

2. Morania

Morania

Look for every possible audio player program in the Programs file and make sure none are set as the default CD controller.
    I wonder if drivers from the CD's manufavterer instead of the generic Oak drivers in windows would override anything that has a hold of the CDROM?

3. AnnaG

AnnaG Thread Starter

That would be my first choice if the program wouldn't have been deleted before by its owner.

when the program was deleted it was like it took settings with it somehow.

so some files are missing. I know this will get fixed when i reinstall windows. but as i said before that will be my last choice.

I uninstalled my cd rom and windows found it again and no difference.

I checked media player settings and they look the same as in my own computer.

it seems nobody really understands or knows why this happens. I have seen a lot of posts on the internet regarding the same issue but no answers.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169845

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice