1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 controller continuous disconnects

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by leadingman, Nov 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. leadingman

leadingman Thread Starter

Hi,

I'll try to get everything down so far and feel free to ask questions so I can fill in the blanks. I've got a decent PC, it was custom built by my brother who is a bit more techy than me.

Despite this, I only really play one game. Final Fantasy XIV: Online Heavensward.I've played this with a pad, sometimes connected via usb lead and sometimes connected via a small bluetooth USB adapter.

Recently however the pad has been doing this incredibly frustrating thing whereby I'll be playing normally and it'll just lock up for a few seconds. My guy continues running in the direction he was running, or my action bar remains open as if I was still holding down the R2 / L2 button but none of my other buttons will respond. The rest of the game continues along just fine, not graphical glitches, there's no lag, nothing is slowed or stopped. Just my controller that stops working / responding for just a second or two and then responds again.

Now I've tried what I thought was everything.

1. I changed the pad.
    2. I replaced the bluetooth adapter with an official Sony DS4 wireless PC adapter.
    3. I tried using it wired.
    4. I tried using different USB ports.
    5. I attempted to update the drivers. (was told I already have the best one available).
    6. I completely removed (I think) all drivers and any software associated with any of the controllers.
    7. I deleted and reinstalled the game (an hour or two process for a 3 year old + MMO)

None of this seems to have solved it at all and as such I have resorted to using a wired Xbox One controller which (So far, 20mins in appears to be working without issues) but I don't want to use this pad, it's terribly ill-suited for the types of games I play.

If anybody is please able to help me I would be GREATLY appreciative. I really want to use my DS4 pad again :(

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I assume by "pad" you mean the PS4 controller? So you've tried using two different game controllers via BT and USB cable, and the problem continues?

3. leadingman

Hi,

Yes, sorry, the Gamepad. I have tried using my original Dualshock 4 and I've bought a 'New Dualshock 4' from Amazon which has the same issue both wired and wireless :(

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    As there are no official drivers (that I've seen yet), I assume you are using DS4Windows?

In any case, if it's not working when connected both ways, it's likely a DS4Windows issue or a glitch with the game.

5. leadingman

Heya,

Actually, no. I'm not using DS4 Windows at all. I'' currently using the official Sony Playstation Dualshock 4 Wireless Adapter. Does that help?

The game itself officially supports Dualshock 4.

Mike.

6. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I didn't realize there was a wireless adapter or that the controller supported it. Mine is connected using bluetooth. In any case, connectivity (ie: wireless, USB, or BT) doesn't seem to be relevant.

From what I was reading when I bought mine, the DS4 is not officially supported by Windows. Thus the need for third party software (I'm sure DS4Windows) to act as an interface between the controller and Windows. There are several articles which cover the basics, such as this one: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-pc-gaming-controller/

EDIT: Having said that, the only thing in common with both connection types that you are using is the USB port/controller (ie: USB cable and wireless adapter plugged into a USB port). So you may want to try manually updating/reinstalling the USB drivers. You may also want to remove all other USB devices for testing.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1180482

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice