1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Plea for more function in Sigs!

Discussion in 'Site Help, Feedback, & Announcements' started by SexyTech, Feb 18, 2003.

?

Sig Files with Images and HTML for Established members

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    86.4%
Advertisement
  1. SexyTech

SexyTech Thread Starter

With the limitations of the sig files now imposed, would it be possible to allow the longtime members more finctionality with sigs...such as Images???

Set a limit on the image size to 20K or so and set that option for members level - i.e. DM so that the user will need a history with TSG before they're allowed that priviledge! Possibly even allow the images with 1001 posts...should be enough of a history that way. Another thing to save server space with sig images...make a requirement that the image must be on the Net and can not be uploaded directly to the TSG Servers!

Also, perhaps allow html in sigs for DM as well!

By allowing the images in the sigs and html links for members with a certain level, it would let the users see a bit more Character of the person resolving thier issues!

Opinions? Thoughts??

I know I could create a SMOKIN' Sig!

2. Lurker1

Lurker1

Mike seems to be having bandwith problems now as he is looking for a higher speed connection. When I am at home with only dial up I don't need any more pictures being loaded. IMHO I don't really see a need for this.

Is this a good thing? :D

3. SexyTech

SexyTech Thread Starter

Lurker...there is an option in the user panel that will hide signatures by default. Also, keeping in mind the size limit of 20K or smaller will make those using sig images a small percentage of bandwidth used.

4. jakoval

jakoval

Forgive me for being blunt, but it seems to me that this comes down to a vanity issue - not unlike having 20 or 30 lines of computer specs in your sig.

(Although offering options like this for those who make a larger financial donation to TSG might be a good way to raise funds to subsidize improvements to the site. ;))

5. GreenIs

GreenIs

I voted no. I think we have enough options for giving any sort of information on ourselves.

6. Rockn

Rockn

Terrible idea. If you have ever been on any other forums where they allow the use of HTML in signatures and huge avatars the look is really bad. I personally like the consistency of size and it makes the pages load faster. Wait til you see a page load with an 1/2 MB sinature....not pretty at all. Leave it alone, it works the way it is and there is no sense breaking something that's not broken.

7. hewee

hewee

I say no to it. I have been to forums like that and it takes forever for the pages to load.
    If your a member you have the option to turn it off but this site has so many Guest and they would not have the option to turn anything off and they would use up all the bandwith.

8. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

Have to vote no also. Our avatars alone can say a lot about us. :) Take care. angel

9. hewee

hewee

I have the avatars turn off also. :)

Really speeds things up when they are off.

10. angelize56

I couldn't turn off avatars...I'd miss your little head! :)

11. hewee

hewee

He hee Angel likes the little hewee. ;)

12. angelize56

Hewee the cute peewee back then! :D

Oops! Back to the thread topic! :D

13. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    I'd just like to give Sexy a *hug* for making a suggestion and being painfully shot down. :D

14. GreenIs

GreenIs

But, seeing how when sexy first joined our team...I'm just wondering if Mike knows sexy is a guy.:eek: ;) :D

15. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    I was pretty sure, from the pic, but after some of these replies, I felt it was necessary anyway. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119556

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice