1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please explain types of RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fubart, Dec 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fubart

fubart Thread Starter

Buying new P4 pc ... largely for gaming. My local shop wants to sell me PC800 RAMBUS 256megs. What's the difference between SDRAM, RDRAM and DDR RAM?? Where does the above PC800 RAMBUS fit in this scheme? Any recommendations?

2. redfrost

redfrost

Depends on who you talk to as per there personal preferec how ever Rambus is mucyh faster up to 10 times that of sdram(pc 133 pc100) and faster than DDR. However it is only because it operates on a 400mhz+ bus speed. Currently there are no real programs that can take advantagre of the higher bus so it is kinda half dozen one or the other. If you are looking towards the future DDR or Rambus is the only way to go. And if you are looking at Gaming in My opinion you can not go past a AMD which works at 9 opereations per clock cycle compared to the 5 for a P4. But there again it is who you talk to. I own a small computer co in Victoria Australia and recieved a few memos recently from Intel pushing the DDR to bring down the price of there systems... but i ramble. Really it is a personal pref and if money is really no object i would go with the Rambus.
    One more thing try looking into this combo it is kick *** for gaming as i currently have 3 machines running them

Amd k7 XP 1900C
    Epox 8KHA+ Motherboard DDR (plus epox CPU cycle can run up to 200mhz and more to come in the following weeks with a simple bios flash)
    512 DDR 2100
    64MB Geforce2 GTS DDR (which actually out preforms several categories compared to the Geforce 3, or so mad onion tells me..lol)

Compared to a P4 it may save you a few bucks and is really quit a kick *** Gaming machine But then again I prefer AMD i prefer speed not so call stability...lol... P4's kick *** to however

Have fun

3. redfrost

redfrost

I see you can not post ***........ errrrr arse...

sorry did not know..lol

:p

4. brianF

brianF

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62565

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice