1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please Help A Girl Out: XP SP2

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by melissa24, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. melissa24

melissa24 Thread Starter

When I upgrade from XP Home SP1 to XP SP2 I can't get past the Windows splash screen. Did clean install still no luck. Can boot in Safe Mode, but that's it. No installation CD, installed from Windows Update. Any suggestions?
    -Mel

2. Grob needs help

Grob needs help

how did you do a clean install with no CD? also did you try booting from last successful settings?

3. melissa24

melissa24 Thread Starter

I did a clean install with SP1 CD, then upgraded to SP2 From Windows Update. Only successful boot is in Safe Mode

4. Grob needs help

Grob needs help

i see that make more sence now. will it allow you to reinstall the update again? if not then the only thing i can suggest is to clean install again redownload the update to make sure it is not corrupted and try again to see what happens

5. melissa24

melissa24 Thread Starter

Thanks for responding Grob... I uninstalled & reinstalled SP2 twice. I have also wiped everything clean & did the entire process twice. Still hangs at splash screen. Have run multiple diagnostic & hardware tests, no difference. As far as I know the comp meets all requirements to run SP2. over a gig of RAM and all updated dell drivers (it's a bit dated tho, Dimension 4600).
    Thanks again

6. Grob needs help

Grob needs help

try going up to sp3
    what type of xp is it? as sp3 only works on home/pro other than that there are no new software/hardware requierments

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972764

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice