PLease help - access to web via other PC

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hambone

I have a laptop and desktop connected with a crossover cable running between the ethernet ports. Using XP's network wizard and file sharing they are now talking to each other. The desktop is connected to the internet via DSL. How do I get the laptop to connect to the internet via the desktop's connection? When I open the internet options on the laptop, the only connections visible are the DSL and dial-up connections already set up there. I thought the laptop might find the desktop's connection if it had the LAN selected so I clicked on the LAN settings button and selected the auto configure option - MS IE gave me the unable to connect message.

hambone

I set up internet connection sharing following the instructions from the Microsoft help center. When I try to open Internet Explorer on the laptop I still get the This Page cannot be Displayed message. Other ideas?

If the workstation is not connected to the router or modem neither one will connect. Do you have two NIC's in the desktop?

Need more information about how you set things up to help further. Auto configure under IE is for a proxy, you don't want that to be selected. Is the desktop configured to serve DHCP? Is it configured to do NAT or Bridging? Does your provider allow more than one IP address to be handed out? Is the 2nd box set to get a DHCP address? Is it getting one? Any other relavant network information would be helpful.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online