1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please Help, Accidentally Saved In Temp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Carolinamom1, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Carolinamom1

Carolinamom1 Thread Starter

Hi,

I am a student, and sometimes instead of using my jump drive, I email my CAD files from school to my home address to work on. I worked on my file for a long time, hit save, and got out. However, since I had gotten the file from an email, I believe it saved in a temp folder. I have not cleared the cache, but I have done a gazillion searches and I cannot find it.

PLEASE HELP, it is a lot of time and work!

Thanks,

Leslie:eek:

2. Jaymie1989

Jaymie1989

Hi,

There's 2 places where it could be 1 is this
    C:\Documents and Settings\(Your computer name)\Local Settings\Temp
    You might need to allow your self to see hidden and system files to view it so do this
    Open any folder, click on Tools, Folder options then View. Go down to hidden files and folders and click on show hidden folder and files then ok. and you should see it there.

The other place is

My computer > Windows > TEMP its more unlikely that it will be in there.

3. Carolinamom1

Unfortunately I could not find it in either place. I know I hit save, I just don't know where it is and it is weird that I cannot find it with a search.

4. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi. I know this has been posted, but there is one small change that may help you.

You may need to set these settings to find the file:

You can change these settings back to what you had or want after....

Now, open Windows Explorer, and look through the Documents and Settings/yourusername/Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files folder

5. moper

moper

Was your E-mail program, Outlook Express? If so, it creates a copy in your Temporary Internet Files, but deletes it as soon as the attachment is closed.
    When you opened this attachment, it should havce opened in your Autocad program, so it is up to this program to save it. Autocad should have popped up the Save As box. Look around this program for any MRU's or check the Save As box and see where it is defaulted to.

moper

6. Carolinamom1

Thanks all. I did all of the above. I checked the save as. I did find a bak file and restored it, it is only missing about an hour of work so, I guess that is better than several hours!

I will use the zip from now on, I can't imagine that I'd ever hit 'no' when prompted to save as but I just can't find the darned thing - though I do believe it went into a temporary folder because I don't think I did save as.

Sorry - MRU?

Thanks very much...

7. moper

moper

I think that is the fault of the Cad program. The Save As box should open whenever a new file is being saved. Be aware next time. Always use 'Save As'.

MRU-- Most Recently Used

moper

8. Skymouse

Skymouse

Have you looked in the My Documents folder? Sometimes email clients like to throw files in there.
    Failing that, try a search doing the following:
    Click Start->Search
    Click All files and folders
    Click more advanced options
    Tick the following boxes:
    1) Search system folders
    2) Search hidden files and folders
    3) Search subfolders

Now type in the file name and click search.

This is a more thorough search, it'll take a while but hopefully it'll bring up the missing file.
    Hope this helps

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/651203

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice