1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please help - all files disappeared

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by geoffers, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. geoffers

geoffers Thread Starter

I have referred to TSG many times in the past, and am grateful to all of you for your advice. However I couldn't find any reference to this latest, and rather serious, problem I have had. As this is my first post, please be patient with me!

If it is important as a bit of background, I run a Dell Dimension 8100 PC with XP (upgrade from Me) and Microsoft Office. I have Norton Internet Security on all the time, regularly download the Microsoft upgrades offered to me, and have an ADSL connection.

OK, 2 days ago when the PC was booted up, there was a blue screen with all the typical lines of text, which then disappeared and was replaced by the usual log-in screen. I have user profiles for me, my wife and a 'guest'. My wife went into her profile, and everything was as normal. However, when I went into mine, my usual desktop had disappeared, many of the usual shortcuts were missing, and - worst of all - I could not find any of the excel or word docs I had been working on to tidy up my father's will. I have searched using keywords in hidden folders, etc., but to no good. Also all my favourites have evaporated from IE and Netscape.

So, in short, my wifes files, docs and desktop remains the same, but mine treats me like I am a new user to XP, offering me tours, etc.

I thought I had done everything to protect me from this sort of thing - could it be a hardware problem, rather than a software problem?

I am not very technical, but really, REALLY need your help to get my files back, as my fathers estate was a mess when he died, and all the work I had done was stored on the PC. The 'restore' function has not worked, and Roxio GoBack appears to be of no help.

Thanks

Geoff

2. plejon

plejon

Xp has a seperate "my documents" folder for each user.

It is stored in c:\documents and settings\<username>\<username>'s documents
    Log in with administrator rights, then use explorer to browse the c:\documents and settings directory. Maybe you see a name, which is different than your user name. Check if your lost documents are there.

Also, if you know the filename of a document (eg estate.doc), try a search for that document on the entire c: disk. (again, make sure you have admin rights)

good luck

3. tnik

tnik

4. geoffers

geoffers Thread Starter

Thanks for such a quick reply.

Tried all that, I'm afraid. Both the wife and I have administrator rights, and we have searched all files on the c: drive using different keywords, but nothing works.

5. tnik

tnik

try booting into safemode, and logging in as administrator, even tho your wife is an administrator, she might not be able to view your files..

just in case.. to boot into safe mode, reboot the computer and hit F8 before the windows screen pops up..

6. geoffers

geoffers Thread Starter

Thanks, tnik, but that didn't help either - went in safe mode as administrator and searched in the usual way, but nothing showed up.

Is it really possible that all the files could have been completely deleted - every word, excel, outlook document that I have worked on under my profile have suddenly gone forever without some way of retrieving them?

7. tnik

tnik

I belive the only way that could have happened is if you deleted the user profile and also checked the box that said delete all files too. I haven't heard of any virus that has done this, or any other problem with XP automagically doing away with a profile. But it is M$, and stranger stuff has happened. I can't think of anything else to do, other than what I have already suggested.

Maybe the bump up will catch someones eye that has come across this problem before and that can be of further help.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163519

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice