1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please Help, Android device won't obtain IP address from Network!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Droid3User87, Sep 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Droid3User87

Droid3User87 Thread Starter

Droid 3 won't obtain IP address from my network, please help thank you!

I just got the motorola droid 3, my first android device. I'm trying to figure out how to get my device to connect to my network as it won't obtain the IP address. I have a Motorola Surfboard SBV5120 Modem and a Microsoft MN-700 router. I just switched from the Palm Pre Plus which connected perfectly to this network, the network is unsecured and has 2 pc's and a 360 running on it. I was able to connect to my friend's wireless network fine at his house. I'm not very familiar with routers and their settings, any advice or walkthrough of this problem will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. :cool:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure that you are not locking yourself out with MAC Address filtering on the router.

3. Droid3User87

Hi, thanks for the advice. How would I go about doing that? What is the MAC Address?

4. Droid3User87

This MAC Address Filtering was disabled, is there any way I can manually connect it through proxy server/settings? Can there possibly be a conflict with the device trying to connect to an IP address already being used?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Maybe; but why would you want to try using a proxy when you can't even get a connection to your router yet?

If you are using a static IP address on any device(s).

6. Droid3User87

Sorry I'm not too familiar with proxy just thought it was a way of manually connecting. My MAC filtering is disabled. Wide Area Network Settings are on Dynamic, Obtain DNS is on Automatic. Local Area Network Settings show DHCP server enabled starting address 2.2 ending address 2.199 lease time 2 weeks. There is no wireless encryption either ahh idk what to do.

7. Droid3User87

DHCP client list

The Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) client list displays the computers and other devices with an active DHCP lease on your network.

IP address Host name MAC address

192.168.2.35 android_632290574fd63a52 C8-AA-21-BA-EB-03

8. Droid3User87

Any Ideas?

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If "192.168.2.35 android_632290574fd63a52 C8-AA-21-BA-EB-03" is from the router's Dhcp server client list then it thinks that some Android device has been assigned an IP address. What does your device have for an address?

10. Droid3User87

I'm not sure it stays on Obtaining IP address for several seconds then says unsuccessful. I don't know where to look for a possible address I don't see anything under wireless network settings.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1018890

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice