1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please Help - Bad Programs & Files Problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by manutdtom, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. manutdtom

manutdtom Thread Starter

Hey Guys,

I am really fed up now. I have several programs that open and then when they feel like it, want to send an error report. This happens on Movie Maker and some video convertors i have. The same goes for my folders, they no longer open, whereas they did open and immediately closed after a few seconds and the desktop reloaded. I am getting fed up and feel like trashing the computer - can anyone suggest why this is happening? :-(

Tom.

2. drumster

drumster

Some of your system files might have got corrupted. Try repairing your version of Windows by using the setup CD

3. manutdtom

manutdtom Thread Starter

setup cd?

4. drumster

drumster

The Windows Setup CD

5. adam1138

adam1138

I've had to do this myself,you need your windows xp CD to do it.
    First of all,restart your computer & hold down DEL to enter setup,you need to change the boot sequence to boot from your CD drive,then make sure the CD is in the drive then save changes & exit.
    Let windows boot up from CD,then you'll be given the choice of setting up XP,& repair using recovery console.
    Don't use the recovery console,instead press enter to set up Win XP.
    Agree to the license agreement by pressing F8,& the existing installation of windows will be detected,make sure it's selected in the list,and then press R to start a repair installation,then the setup will continue & replace any missing or corrupt files & you won't loose any of your installed programs or files.

6. manutdtom

manutdtom Thread Starter

what if i don't know where my cd is?

7. adam1138

adam1138

That could be a problem as you need the CD to replace the missing or corrupt system files.
    Have you tried a system restore?
    Have you also tried running anti-virus & spyware scans?
    Which version of windows are you running?

8. manutdtom

manutdtom Thread Starter

its all ok, got some information about how to sort the problem, thanks for answering

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541086

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice