1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please help before I throw it in the river...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dez01, Jun 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dez01

Dez01 Thread Starter

:confused: Okay, all I want is for my windows 98 to recognized the second hard drive I just put on it so that I can copy some files to it.Windows won't assign it a drive letter so I can't even tell it is there. It's a Maxtor 40GB hard drive. This is a machine I'm giving to my boys so they don't fight over the one they already have. Please help me, the river is only a short walk away. :eek:

Dez

2. norton850

norton850

Are your jumper settings correct?

3. Dez01

Dez01 Thread Starter

Yes. I changed the hard drive positions on the ribbon and now when I look in my computer I see 2 new drives: L & M. L has folders in it with strange symbols for names and M says not ready when I try to access it. I cannot access L from the MSDOS prompt either.

4. norton850

norton850

The position will only determine the master/slave settings if the jumpers on the drives are set to cable select. Set the drive with Windows on it to master and the drive you just put in to slave.

5. Dez01

Dez01 Thread Starter

That is what it is set at. I was finally able to access L with my msdos prompt. The folders that were in there filled the entire hard drive. I tried to format the drive but just got an error that says, unable to write bood. Format terminated. What does that mean?

6. norton850

norton850

What is "bood"

If you disconnect the new drive does everything work properly.

Did the "new" drive have anything on it?

7. brite750

brite750

take the new drive and format using the software that goes to the drive, not format.com that comes with windows, It can be d/l from mfr website, ie Seatools for Seagate drive. the new drive should not have anything on it otherwise it is not new drive????

8. norton850

norton850

The first post just said "second" hard drive so I thought maybe it had NTFS on it.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/368809

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice