1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please Help. Boot Problems.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by geoffins, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geoffins

geoffins Thread Starter

Hi all,
    The problem is this. I had linux installed with a grub bootloader installed on the mbr(now I wish I didnt). I found out that it would not boot windows from grub, it was on the menulist and everything but just hung when it was selected. So I removed linux and grub by formatting the harddrive that linux was on using a live linux cd. Then windows would not boot at all! And now the only way I can load windows is via a boot disk (that I made at my friends house because I didtn have one. Win XP is my operating system.

I have tried. fixboot, fixmbr, chkdsk, and fdisk /mbr and fdisk /cmbr 1 (1 being my drive number.

When I startup without the boot disk I notice that when it hangs, it actually deletes some of the letters from the screen and replaces them with blank spaces (the letters on the screen being there from when the normall booting procedure tells you what hardrives you have and all the system specs etc.

When I have the machine in bios set to boot from the cd and have the winxp cd in and let it run past the "press any key to boot from cd" it hangs and instead of blank spaces. In the same 3 spots the random letters r in yellow with a grey background, e with a black background, and a upright double ended arrow in red appear instead.

This is hugely mega wierd and I have tried everything but formatting the harddrive completely. I really really dont want to have to do that.

I dont know if it is an mbr problem, a boot sector problem, or a parition table problem, or all of the above.

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329884

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice