1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please help - bought new Toshiba Satellite laptop and have noticed a couple things

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FuzzyWuzzy, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FuzzyWuzzy

FuzzyWuzzy Thread Starter

1. I set my LCD brightness to the highest, but sometimes when Im just using the computer, it will darken for some reason and drop to half of its brightness. I have to then do it again manual to the setting I wish. Has happened about 4 times in 4 days. Whats up with that?

2. Im typing, and sometimes the cursor or point to where im typing will jump back a few words. I have to manually click back and fix the errors - very annoying! Has happened about 5 times in 4 days. Whats up with that?

3. I dont know if Toshiba gipped me a bit on this machine, but I know the specs are suppose to be 40gig HD and 512 DDR ram, but when I went into my hardware profiles, it says its only 37.2GIG HD, and 448 DDR ram. Whats up with that? I know sometimes its not on the exact number, but cmon thats quite the difference.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

1. Keep an eye on the brightness problem, but every laptop I have has has shown intermittent levels. A gentle "tap" simultaneous to left and right edges of the lid settles it down, but that's not a recommended action I guess.

2. Has the laptop got a "G Spot" pointer device (located beside the G key). If so, then you are accidentally touching it while typing. If you do not use it then disable it in the BIOS. Its a very common problem, its a user initiated one though and not a laptop proble.

3. 40 GB is decimal. Windows reports in Binary. There are 1024 bytes to a megabyte and 1024 x 1024 = 1,048 megabytes to a Gigabyte, not 1000. That is the HDD difference, its normal. It includes losses from formatting and partitions etc,

The RAM is OK as well, the difference is used by your Video adapter (shared video) and is 64 MB.

3. FuzzyWuzzy

Hey thanks for replying.

Ok first off, the LCD brigntness problem Im sure I have figured out. I noticed in the toshiba power mgmt settings, it had settings where the brightness would lower as the battery level decreses. So I set it all to the highest - should fix it.

Second, the cursor - what exactly is a G spot? I turned down the touch pads sensitivity. I use the pad sometimes when I dont have my mini mouse on me, otherwise I find it hard to use and have to get used to it.

4. FuzzyWuzzy

ok just figured out what the G spot is. Nope I dont have one.

I wonder what it could be. Maybe its a thing within windows?

It just did it again right now. its very annoying. i have to fix this or it will make me go insane.

(n)

5. moparmaniac

moparmaniac

Make sure your thumb isn't touching the mouse pad. I do that while typing on my Toshiba sometimes...It doesn't take a very hard touch of the pad to do that. Might try to adjust the sensitivity of the pad and see if that helps any.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270917

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice