1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

please help. cant connect laptop to pc

Discussion in 'Networking' started by deltuna, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deltuna

deltuna Thread Starter

hi there. i'm trying to connect my laptop to pc but cant seem to do it. i was advised in pcworld to use an ethernet cable so i bought one. just got home and tried to connect but no joy. on the laptop i set up a new connection and made it the 'guest' and typed in the name of my pc etc. on my pc i followed the connection wizard. on my pc in network connecions there is a pc icon with 'incoming connections/no clients connected'. on my laptop under direct it syas my pc's name/disconnected/commuinications cable between two computers.

any help is much appreciated

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  3. deltuna

deltuna Thread Starter

thanks for the help etaf. i really need to sort this coz it's actually my dad's laptop he's over from spain and goe's back tommorow and i wanted to transfer a load of software and films etc.
    the cable is a belkin CATe5 crossover patch cable

4. deltuna

deltuna Thread Starter

when i try and connect from my laptop i get the error message "error 777. the connection attempt failed because the modem(or other connecting device) on the remote computer is out of order"

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    so you need to have TCP/IP on both PC under network connections
    You should also have file and printer sharing
    you may need netbuie but maybe OK with XP
    my connections - right click on the lan - properties - list is there
    check both PC's

you need to share the harddrive on the PC you are trying to connect to

do you use user names and passwords
    do you know the workgroups the PC are in

as its so urgent - it maybe better to buy a USB flash memory 1GB or use a CDRW/DVDRW and just copy them

6. deltuna

deltuna Thread Starter

i have tried all these and ensured that tcp/ip is on both laptop and pc. i tried map network drive avenue but get an error message the network path **** could not be found. i have followed the instructions to configure laptop to pc in 'laptops for dummies' yet it still wont connect. when i put my cross over cable into my live box from the laptop i can access the internet but when i remove the live box eternet cable from the pc and put the crossover ethernet fro laptop to pc it wont connect. i have tried turning off firewalls. i have deleted connections and run wizard again trying com1 and lpt from laptop but nothing......please help

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne

8. jmwills

jmwills

What firewalls are installed? If you have Norotn or Mcafee products, more than likley they have one running also.

Try this:
    Give each machine a static IP Address say 192.168.1.1 & .2
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    DNS Server: 192.168.1.1
    WorkGroup name must match
    and if the firewall are off, you shoud be able to map to:

\\192.168.1.1\C$ from .2 and \\192.168.1.2\C$ from .1

Turn off simple File File Sharing (My Computer>Tools>Folder Options>View>Scroll all the way to the bottom)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538792

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice