1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please Help - Can't Start Windows XP Prof.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by peterm, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. peterm

peterm Thread Starter

I think my computer became infected with several viruses and now I can't boot up into Windows XP from its original installation on the C partition of my hard drive. It gets to the screen where you sign in and then only the background of the desktop screen appears and it stalls out there. I had to install Windows XP pro on the D partition of my hard drive in order to use my computer.

I have scanned my drives with Norton Anti-Virus, Ad-aware, and spy-bot and have removed or quarantined any problem files. I can't figure out how to create a current log of the registry file on my C drive with the "Hihackthis" software - I can only get a log of the scan of my D drive registry. I am able to access files on the C partition of my hard drive.

Can anyone please help me get my C drive Windows XP installation working again?

Thanks.

peterm

2. Dan O

Dan O

Did you try depress F8 when booting and select Safe Mode? Then run your virus scanner?

3. peterm

peterm Thread Starter

Hey Dan O

Sorry for the confusion, but I thought I had accidently removed this post so I just posted another one. Yes I have tried starting up in safe mode, but just as I get past logging in, the computer stalls out just like it does when I am starting up in regular mode. I also tried starting up from the Windows XP CD and repairing the C drive, but this didn't help.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

peterm

4. Dan O

Dan O

5. peterm

peterm Thread Starter

I have scanned my drives with all the anti-virus applications on the saphos site (very tedius job!). I found no viruses present. I think I may have removed required lines in the registry on my C drive. Is there any way to do a HJT scan of the C drive registry while I am operating my computer from the op. system I now have installed on my D drive?

The other option I am considering is to format the C drive and just go on using the setup I now have on my D drive - any thoughts on this?

How can I find the saved Internet Explorer favorites and saved e-mails on my Outlook express e-mail account on my C drive?

Thanks.
    peterm

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329759

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice