1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please help, computer freezes up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by septooth, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. septooth

septooth Thread Starter

My computer is getting on my nerves. I have had a problem with random freeze ups for a few months now and don't know what it is. I'll be doing something (web searching, opening a progrm like my documents.....) and all of a sudden my mouse dont move no more and my keyboard doesn't work. So I have to reset my computer manually. But..sometimes during the reboot (or just starting it up) It will get stuck at the Motherboard logo screen and I'll have to restart it again manually untill it follows thru to Windows login screen. And then repeat all over again.
    I clean my computer every month, so it doesn't get all clogged up with dust. I updated my Norton, Spybot and Ad-Aware, turned off system restore, rebooted into Safe Mode and ran all my system scans. It found a few minor things and i took care of them. Then I restarted back into windows, turned system restore back on and recorded a new restore point. I went into Startup and closed out all my Startup items. I changed my keyboard and mouse. And disconnected my CD and DVD drives, my modem and my floppy. Nothing seems to have helped yet.
    I have noticed that my CPU usage seems to jump up pretty high on simple procedures. Like....Opening Internet Explorer - 52%, Starting a song from my music - 82%, Clicking on my favorites - 65%. I don't know if that is normal or not, but I thought I'd bring it up.
    Anyone have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

System Specs....
    Mobo - MSI K8N Neo 2 platinum
    CPU - AMD Winny 3000+
    GPU - eVGA 6600gt
    H.D. Seagate barracuda 80 gb 7200. sata
    RAM - Corsair VS 2 x 512mb (1gb)
    PSU - Antec Truepower 430w
    Drive - CD/RW
    Drive - DVD
    Drive - Floppy
    Monitor - 19" HANNS-G

2. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

While I don't recall hang-ups, I have found mouse and keyboard problems can be caused by too many mouse driver installs. If you changed your mouse and keyboard you might want to be certain that only one driver program is shown in Add and Remove Programs window of Control panel

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540008

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice