1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please help, computer randomly shutting down!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tyler0903, Jul 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tyler0903

tyler0903 Thread Starter

Hello, so I have a strange problem it seems. I've done SOME troubleshooting, but so far, nothing has changed.

So before I start, let me just say that I'm really not quite sure when the problem first happened, but I do know that it has not always happened, but it also didn't just recently start happening, it just recently got worse.

As the title reads, my computer randomly shuts off. However it does not shut off all of the way. The fans are still running, the lights on my keyboard are still on, and the light on my mouse is still on as well, however the activity LED on the front of the computer no longer blinks.

Now, the computer doesn't ALWAYS seem to randomly shut off, it seems to only do it when I try to do certain things such as get on the internet or play a video game from steam. Steam starts when my computer turns on and I can usually pull up my friends list and talk to people with no problem, but if I try to get on the internet or play a game right away, it shuts off. Now if I wait a while, it usually is ok, and once I'm on the internet or playing a game for a period of time of about minutes or so, it's good to go until I shut it off again. There are however some other times that even if I do nothing when I turn the computer on, it will shut itself off.

I ran a windows health report to see if there were any issues, and found some random driver issue and looked it up and thought maybe THAT was it, however I couldn't fix it. So after some time I then decided to do a reformat and then do a clean install of Windows 7. Afterward, I ran the same health report for windows and found no more driver error, and no errors at all for that matter, but the problem still persisted.

Up until recently, the problem wasn't that bad, and I was able to tolerate it, but it seems to be getting much worse now, and can barely even use my computer outside of talking to friends on steam.

I'm thinking it's a hardware issue, just not sure if it's a motherboard thing, power supply thing, processor thing or what, but it's really causing some issues.

and last thing, and this is a more recent occurrence, maybe within the last 2 weeks or so, but my video will sometimes have very distorted colors and just look really bad on the windows welcome screen. Sometimes it will freeze there and other times it will stay there for a while, my screen will flash black, then it will go back to normal, not sure what that means and if it's a related problem.

and finally, my CPU is not overheated, I've checked that, and I do not think the video card is over heating either, because I can play games for hours once my computer gets going and never get a hiccup, so yea.

Sorry for the wall of text but I really wanted to explain things as much as I could, but any help at all would be very much appreciated, thank you.

Oh, and I have Windows 7 Ult 64 bit if that makes a difference to anything.

2. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Could be that your CPU is breaking down. How do you check for the CPU temperature? Also memory could be an issue and maybe test it with memtest or another tool...How much ventilation is the box getting and what is the wattage of the power supply?

3. tyler0903

tyler0903 Thread Starter

Ive checked the temperature of my computer both with Speedfan, and also in the BIOS. Memtest I've never used and I'll try that once I can get the computer stable enough to check. And my tower is getting pretty good ventilation, I have a top and rear fan and one at the bottom by the power supply and my tower is out in the open in a room that does not get overly hot. I even recently ran it with the side case off and a larger fan aimed towards it and it still shut off. Oh, and my power supply is 850 watts. It's an antec modular supply and it came bundled with my case.. here are the links to both the case and power supply that I have..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371009

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129025

4. tyler0903

tyler0903 Thread Starter

ok, so I ran memtest, I got the one from http://hcidesign.com/memtest/ not too sure if it's the right one but I did get some results. Oh, and I might add that the test wouldn't allow me to test all 8 GB at one time so I had to do 4 simultaneous tests, each of 2 GB.

After about just a minute, I received a popup saying the following:

"Memory error detected! Copying between 92ff3c8 and 92ff35c did not result in accurate copy.

MemTest has detected that your computer cannot accurately store data in RAM.
    You need to fix this.

See the online FAQ, question #2 (http://HciDesign.com/memtest) for advice on what to do next."

then question 2 from the FAQ reads this answer:

"This is not normal. Your RAM is bad, or your system is incorrectly configured. Even just 1 error means that you have a problem. If you have overclocked your machine, or selected aggressive RAM timings in your BIOS you should try more conservative settings before judging the RAM fully bad. If you can't get MemTest to run without errors even with conservative BIOS settings, however, your RAM is bad. Replace it, or you will experience stability and corruption problems. Correctly functioning RAM has no errors, even if you run MemTest for days."

Now, I've never overclocked my computer at all, and I recently did a BIOS update (which the problems were happening before that) and set my BIOS settings to default or "best settings"? I'm not sure which option it is. The only option that I changed in the BIOS is to have USB devices turn on with the computer because I don't have a PS2 keyboard, so my keyboard does not respond before windows comes up.

So I'm not sure what I should do from here outside of taking out my ram sticks one at a time and then running memtest to see which one is faulty if it is indeed just one stick that is faulty and not just some bad settings or a bad mobo.

5. craisin

craisin

borrow a PS2 Keyboard and try it without the USB enabled at boot up

6. tyler0903

tyler0903 Thread Starter

I'll try that, but I'm about 90% sure that the problem was happening before I enabled USB devices on startup in the BIOS

7. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    I would check the RAM sticks one at a time and find out which is the bad one and replace it and see if that resolves the problem. (You wouldn't even need to replace it because 8 gigs is a lot and it could probably run on 4, IMO.)

8. tyler0903

tyler0903 Thread Starter

Yea, that's what I plan on doing. I'm thinking it could be more than one bad stick though because I actually had about 10 different memory error messages, each saying the same thing, just different sectors where it says "Memory error detected! Copying between xxxxxxx and xxxxxxx..." And yea, I actually had 4 GB of RAM initially when I built my system back in November of 2008, and then decided to get 4 additional GB of RAM because I found the same RAM on sale for a good price, and that was in February of 2010.Just one question before, if it turns out to be bad memory slots and not just bad memory (which would be the worst case scenario), would I be able to put the memory in a slot that isn't necessarly the 1, or 2 slot, becaues I know memory is supposed to by put in a certain order if you are not using all slots in your mobo, and I currently have 4 slots.

9. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Bad memory slot would be the worst case scenario. RAM is replaceable, slots are not...Chances are, though, that it's the RAM and not the slots, unless you hammered them in there. Depends on the motherboard on whether or not you have to use certain slots. (As an aside, I had about a dozen DDR-400 sticks and a customer needed a memory upgrade. So I installed them one by one and tested and it turned out that only half of them were good, but it was enough...:) )

10. tyler0903

tyler0903 Thread Starter

11. tyler0903

tyler0903 Thread Starter

Alright, so it looks like it isn't the RAM. I have two 2GB sticks of RAM that neither got any error messages when I ran memtest and it still randomly shut off. I also just got 2 brand new GSKILL 2GB ram sticks and with just them in, it still randomly shuts off. I played a slew of games last night, starting with playing Left 4 Dead 2 for about an hour, then Team Fortress 2 for about an hour, then a slew of Half-Life 2 mods for a few more hours and never a single hiccup, except for a random BSOD at the very end of the night. However I woke up this morning, turned on my computer and sat on it talking to on Steam for a while, and as soon as I open the internet and try and do a Google image search, it shuts down.

Any more input or what anyone thinks my next step should be would be very grateful.

12. tyler0903

tyler0903 Thread Starter

and as for the BSOD I received, it did seem to point to something specific, however I couldn't get a picture of it in time so I'm not sure what it is. But because it pointed to something specific, I don't think its just a bad hard drive. I have seen this before, not sure if it's the same error message every time, however it is more random than my computer shutting off as it's only happened about 3 times total, so I don't know what causes it to happen

13. kingknightrider

kingknightrider

I think I may have a possible idea as to your issue. But it requires that you use the Everest program or Hijack This
    to post a list of your computers' system specs. For me to be able to more accurately assist.:)

14. tyler0903

tyler0903 Thread Starter

Processor - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 Yorkfield 2.5GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80580Q9300

Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Video Card - MSI N465GTX-M2D1G GeForce GTX 465 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

RAM - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPI-B

Hard Drive - Seagate ST3640323AS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Antec TPQ-850 850W Continuous Power ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply

The system was built in December of 2008 and the video card was an upgrade and bought in August of 2010

These are all of the parts I have in the computer at the moment, I am not at my computer at the moment, so I will download the software and use that I get back home.

15. kingknightrider

kingknightrider

Try the bolded components in another computer and see if the issues remain? If not then I hate to say it but you may have a faulty or dying motherboard. First check the boards transistors and capacitors- this how they look if bad. If the look ok then do the following and see when the issue returns if it doesn't it is very possible that it is indeed the motherboard.
    There seems to be a lot of bad buzz about that particular motherboard on the internet.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1007423

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice