1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please help, computer turns on but nothing happens

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by x1xsup3rm4nx1x, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. x1xsup3rm4nx1x

x1xsup3rm4nx1x Thread Starter

Hi, first and foremost I would like to thank anyone for reading and/or responding to this plea for help in advance. I have an alien ware area 51 that is over its warranty and they will not help me diagnose the problem I am currently having, so I hope one of you guys can. My computer will power up, but will not display anything on it's monitor. I currently have 2 graphics cards running in sli, and I can not tell if they are the culprit but one of them doesn't have its fan running, but that also might be because it's like 20 degrees right now. My cd drives make weird noises and won't open up, actually one will open up, but only like 1/2 of an inch and then it stays there. There is nothing blocking these drives. I have had it sent in before for a bad power supply, and I am not sure if that is the culprit either, seeing as how I am recording power, but it might be because it doesn't seem to be enough power to open the drives up. Please help

2. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

It certainly sounds like it could be a faulty or intermittent power supply and I`d test that first if you can to either solve it or eliminate it from further investigation.

Look at the evidence and it could read that one or more of the power rails could be malfunctioning ... Only one graphics fan / Nothing on the monitors / CD drives starting to open and then stopping and the fact that you`ve had problems in that area before could all be due to a dodgy supply.

Make sure the monitor is plugged in securely and into the correct outlet. (Both ends of the cable)
    Can you swap the graphics fan leads over to see if the other one works using the first ones supply? (I hope that makes sense)
    Can you hear the hard drive/s spinning up and if so, can you get into BIOS? (Reset to defaults and boot to Safe Mode for further system testing)
    Is it possible to borrow another CD drive to try out? (Try an installation repair using the installation CD)

Jenny

3. x1xsup3rm4nx1x

I will check the power supply to see, but if it is any help I have 2 cd drives and both of them have the same issue and their currently installed on the same system

4. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

Use a different power supply end (Molex) for each of the drives so that if one works and one doesn`t, it`s proving that the PSU isn`t working correctly internally.

5. x1xsup3rm4nx1x

Ok, I'm going to pick up a multimeter to test my power supply tomorrow when I get a chance, and I tried changing the power supply ends from the different drives, one at a time and when I had a drive plugged in it would receive power but not open or close, just flash green lights and spin around. I tried this on both my drive with each of the connections and got the same outcome each time.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973596

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice