1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please help dell 4700

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sunnygal07, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sunnygal07

sunnygal07 Thread Starter

i recently had my motherboard go bad in my dell 4700 ,it would power up but no video and the abcd lights on the back wouldnt light up either.my local repair man quoted me $400 to replace the motherboard so i decided to do it myself and bought a refurb mobo.my question is should i replace the psu as well?i wasnt sure if it had anything to do with causing my mobo to go bad.any way to test it?thanks in advance for any advice

2. steven1350

steven1350

$400!!!!!!!!!! Wow. thats a terrible price. Most mobo's cost less then $200, and Im positive that a $200 labour charge is overcharging quite a bit...

3. sunnygal07

sunnygal07 Thread Starter

lol yeah thats why i figured id do it myself,paid$65 for a refurb mobo so if i mess up thats all im out instead of 400$ :)

4. steven1350

steven1350

5. Cildaten

Cildaten

lol for 400$ you can get a good new mobo, psu, cpu, and a GFX card.
    Hell, I got my comp for around 500-600$ with some amazing deals on newegg/ebay/etc...

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

On a refurbished drive I would strongly suggest that you set the board up outside the chassis and make sure it will POST before installing it.

I don't know how the $400 estimate was broken down, but if the labor estimate was $200 that was not excessive for removal of a socket 775 board, removing the components and installing the components on the replacement board, and reinstalling the board in the chassis.

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

I disagree unless they are including a new operating system and program installs. The rest is barely 45 minutes work for someone who knows what they are doing.

8. Cildaten

Cildaten

They must make a killing on people who arent computer savy...
    Oops I just described geeksquad.
    Mmmm what a living. :eek:

9. win2kpro

win2kpro

I must not know what I am doing. Obviously, you are much faster at changing a board and components than I am. :eek:

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

No I didn't mean it that way, let's just say maybe you are more cautious than I am. Although I build one in 45 minutes, and I forgot to allow for pulling the old board out also.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700689

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice