1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please Help...Discouraging Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Justincase3, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justincase3

Justincase3 Thread Starter

To be honest I don't know if this is a hardware or software problem. I would take it to be software but I'll just start here first.

Look at my specs quickly and note the video card first. Now the Visiontek Radeon HD 2600 PROs have been encountering driver problems for a while. These problems were solved in ATI's 8.1 driver release. I now have Visiontek's 8.3 drivers seeing that I should download drivers from the manufacturer site and not just the chipset provider.

When I installed this driver update I noticed that some games would not be allowed to run in Steam: such as Half-Life 2. It would give me a message stating that I need to update DirectX, except DirectX wouldn't update to 9.0c from 9.0b (or to any version from any version to be precise). Some games would run just fine. And some games (all the games I talk about now probably require 9.0c just to note) would play a bit but eventually have a BSOD without any information given that is actually helpful.

After many talks, I was told something must be corrupt with DirectX or Microsoft. A re-format was recommended. I have just spent the past five hours backing up documents for everyone on our PC, formating the hard drive, installing generally needed software, updates, and drivers. I then install Sam and Max demo for Moai Better Blues (one of the BSOD games) and it started to run. There's an opening tutorial in which you put your settings how you want them. The first cluster of choices relate to graphical options. I immediately scrolled down the resolution list and clicked on 1440x900 (max setting for my monitor). The screen flickered and then came back to the 3D tutorial for a second only to be presented by a BSOD.

I just really need help now. I don't know if it is a thing related the drivers I'm using, the video card, or whatever. I'm running on a clean version of Windows XP and yet this thing still persists. I've been playing on limited games for a couple months now and after finally being able to have enough time to go under this re-formatting project I figured this would solve everything, but it hasn't. And it's extremely gut-punching now.

Please help me...it would be very much appreciated.

If this needs to be in the software section, move it or let me know and I'll post another thread.

Thanks.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you tried lower resolutions?

3. Justincase3

Justincase3 Thread Starter

Yes, didn't help. The resolutions shouldn't be a problem on a game like the Sam and Max demo. I played the entire first season at 1280x1024.

Last night I also tried ATI's 8.1 Hotfix drivers, uninstalling the drivers already on my PC before installing any other ones, and after that didn't work I tried the most recent Omega Drivers.

Something in the Omega Drivers makes the games work, but I get low performance (stuttering mainly) on Half-Life 2 (a game I should be able to play perfectly) at all high and there's a graphical problem in it as well. A number of objects are rendered from a distance with a foggy white color on them. I"ll show you in a minute.

If only I knew what Omegaman is using correctly and only implement that into some ATI drivers, of course I know nothing about how to do that.

Here's the picture:

[​IMG][/IMG]

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698116

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice