1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

please help fix once and for all

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 06s2blakeleyl, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 06s2blakeleyl

06s2blakeleyl Thread Starter

ok i have posted a couple times because my monitor will not start....the computer does but the monitor stays on standby. i have come to the will my memory slots are broken. can i do anything about this? has anyone got any other ideas what it is? monitor works, video card works, memory works, cpu works.my system specs are as follows:
    Cpu: Pentium 4 2.6
    Video card: Nvidia GeForce Fx 5200 128mb
    Memory: ddr 184 pin (compatable and working)
    HDD: 230GB
    If you need any more info please ask and please submit all ideas because this is really annoying and i have been trying to fix it for over a week now and even my lecturer at college cant help me and he knows everything lol plz try and help me before i call in and pay a pro to do it for me.

p.s. can u actually fix broken memory slots and how can i confirm that they are definitely broken? oh and the comp beeps 3 times.....but not all the time(when i fiddle with the memory), does this mean that the memory slots do actually work?

2. brite750

brite750

if you slots do not work that is basically your MB that is broken or CPU but that is pretty rare, now it could still be your PSU I would try a different one. The problem is you need known working spare parts to trouble shoot a pc so you could end up buying a few parts that you may not really need, that is the adavntage of taking it to a shop. Most of us HW geeks have spare stuff laying around to test with.

3. brite750

brite750

there is a troubleshooting guide on one of the stickys at the top of this forum for guidence

4. 06s2blakeleyl

i have had the computer working before and have tested the vidoe card memory etc.. in my other computer and all of the compnonets work

5. brite750

brite750

psu?
    mb?

did you try a different psu, even if it appears to be working it could be having a problem but from the sound of it its your MB

6. 06s2blakeleyl

i have tried the problem build....i have had this problem whenifirst built the compand the post did help so i did the same thing but this time it didnt work......if one memiry slot is brokenor ets fried will it affectthe other one? if so then i think it is definately my memiry slots

7. brite750

brite750

8. brite750

brite750

did you try running it w/o the hdd connected, reset the bios and try that

9. brite750

brite750

basically what you want to do is have a minimal build, just PSU, MB with CPU and hsf, 1 stick of ram and your gfx card, thats it no drives, no pci cards etc.

10. 06s2blakeleyl

the psu is fine ..... when i was playing with the comp (added new memory) it did start to smoking im guessing this is due to the memory not being in properly....will this destroy my motherboard or would the other memory slot still work? it smoked for like 2 seconds before i turned the comp off and took the memory out....but like i said three beeps means that there is something wrong but this stops when i fiddle with the memory stick and ensure it is seated properly

11. brite750

brite750

I have a pc sitting here that if I plug the modem in it wont start, take it out it works fine

12. 06s2blakeleyl

yeah that is what the problem build post says, i have the video card the cpu and the memory in and that is it

13. brite750

brite750

you fried your MB, do not use anything that was smoking again, if the MB was smoking dont use it, if the PSU was smoking dont use it, replace it.

14. brite750

brite750

if you need help finding parts post what PC brand/model you have or what MB make & model you have.

15. 06s2blakeleyl

the memory slot started smoking but the ram still works as i have been using it in my other computer......and like i said the beeps indicate that it is pickingtheram up and i have also tried it in the other slot which also seems to accept the memory....would it be worth getting a pro in to look at it or could you suggest anything else?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649140

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice