1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PLEASE HELP!! HD Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by matthiasj, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. matthiasj

matthiasj Thread Starter

I have a old computer that was given to me, and i was making work, i got a 2.1gb hard drive, and my first question is if i can put windows 95, or 95 on a hard drive that small? Second, i formatted the hard drive with an old packard bell floppy disc, i have a Compaq Presario 5360, and have the Quick Restore discs, and i thought that if i formatted the hard drive, i could just put the discs in the CD drive, and it would guide me though the rest, but it didnt, the screen just stayed blank, and the CD-ROM drive light only came on during startup. I dont know what to do, and would really like to get the comptuer going soon.

2. Dipeolu

Dipeolu

First you can install even a full windows 98se provided you do not do more than browsing or Word processing or Excelling. But if you want to go into database management or a little programming then Win 95 or compact 98 se would do. Try using a normal Start up disk to reformat or use a boot-able CD, it would guide up through the reformatting. (y)

3. Dipeolu

Dipeolu

First you can install even a full windows 98se provided you do not do more than browsing or Word processing or Excelling. But if you want to go into database management or a little programming then Win 95 or compact 98 se would do. Try using a normal Start up disk to reformat or use a boot-able CD, it would guide up through the reformatting.

4. matthiasj

matthiasj Thread Starter

I have a 3.2g hard drive, and have compaq restore discs #1 and #2. The computer is a Compaq Presario 5360. With a formatted hard drive, can i just put the first disc in, and should it restore the computer back to origional?

5. matthiasj

matthiasj Thread Starter

ok, when i put the disc in the d: nothing happens, after the compaq screen, it goes to a blank screen with the cursur blinking in the top left hand corner

6. brite750

brite750

Are these the disks that came with the pc your working on?
    Also old cdroms are not bootable, you need to load drivers for them, when you go to the A: prompt can you change directories to the D: or whatever you think your cd is?

7. matthiasj

matthiasj Thread Starter

I only have one disc that came with the computer, but the actual set of discs that i have, and that i'm using are ones that work for my computer, they're the same discs, just didnt come with my comp.

8. brite750

brite750

Restore disks i think only work for the pc that they came with aat least for some brands, they read your bios or something.

9. matthiasj

matthiasj Thread Starter

on the cover of the discs, it says that the discs will work for a 5360, my comp, a 5330, a 5365, and a couple others, so i assumed they were kinda generic

10. matthiasj

matthiasj Thread Starter

ok, i just tried the one that came with the computer, and it did the same thing, i was thinking that if i installed MS-DOS 6.2 or windows 3.1 i might be able to get the restore discs to work?

11. brite750

brite750

they might be but lets see if we can cd to work, there are sites to downlaod a win98 startup floppy with generic cd drivers I'll try to find one, this will make sure your cd is working, can you go into your bios and check if it recognizes you cdrom.

12. matthiasj

matthiasj Thread Starter

thanks a lot...keep me posted

13. brite750

brite750

14. brite750

brite750

after you have the boot disk copied onto a 1.44 floppy, and your hdd is formatted using format.com (use search on a pc with 98os) set your bios to boot from A drive first, turn on pc with boot floppy in drive, and choose start setup using CD rom support or something similar, A: drive should load cdrom drivers to your C: drive, go into bios and change boot sequence to whatever letter your cdrom is probably E: shut down and restart with restore disk in cdrom drive. hope this works.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275636

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice