1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please help!! HP recovery disc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tumblewic, Jan 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tumblewic

Tumblewic Thread Starter

To make a long story short, my computer crashed a month ago. I took it in to get fixed, and he ended up putting a new hard drive into my computer. He only loaded, windows. I don't have anything else on my computer, and can't even get my recovery disc to work, it just gives me a blank screen with a cursor that doesn't move, or do anything. My DVD drive won't work either. I cant' get it to open. I am frusterated. I downloaded windows 98 update, and that is when I started not being able to use my disc drives. My printer will also not work every time. It is a HP officejet R40xi. My warrenty is up on my computer. ANY help would GREATLY be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tumblewic

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

HP is a propriertor system.. You really need to call them
    I know... its going to cost you $25 and you may end up buying a new disc for system recovery... $10

but you need HP's enhanced drivers for windows etc...

You can't use just anything on an HP...

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I agree that HPs are proprietary systems; but, I have never seen one I could not set up from scratch without an HP recovery disk. However, it requires you explore the HP site for drivers and maybe even open the case to get markings on the various chips--sound, video, etc.

It is possible you could get this information at the HP site by exploring the HP site for all information you can find on your model number.

Post the model and serial number of your computer. If I have time, I will see if I can help.

4. Tumblewic

Tumblewic Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys. I have the HP recovery disc. That is the one that I can't get to work. The first disc, when I put it in, then shut down, and restart, when it turns on, the computer goes blank, and then does nothing. The second disc, says I need a HP computer for this to work. I have a HP computer model Pavillion 8566c.

Thanks for any help::)

5. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

6. Tumblewic

Tumblewic Thread Starter

ok, I downloaded those downloads, and now when I go to use the recovery disc, (HP), it gives me a green/orange light off and on, and on my blank dark screen it tells me !NAME FAT12 , and repeats itself after about 10 minutes. I am excited that I got something, although, I am still not where I need to be.
    Thanks again,
    Tumblewic

7. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

The reason I referred you to that driver page is that it allows you to load your drivers without the HP recovery disk. Point being, you will not use the HP Recovery disk at all--ever.

Load Windows from a standard Windows installation CD; then load your drivers. Forget the HP Recovery disk.

8. Tumblewic

Tumblewic Thread Starter

Ok, thanks I will try that.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63801

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice