1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please help..I just spilled coffee on my wireless keyboard.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pumpkindd, Oct 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pumpkindd

Pumpkindd Thread Starter

I just spilled a little coffee on my brand new HYPE wireless keyboard. It was working perfectly before but now the middle letters(y,h,b,g,j) don't respond. And neither does the back space. I wiped it off asap,but sadly it didn't help. I went on my favorite goto for help and the only advice I retrieved was use a blow dryer, or take it apart and clean the inside...but I see no screws on it?? and I'm a lil nervous to use the blow dryer. Please help. I know it would probably be easier to buy another one,but this ones only been used 2 days.Thanks.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Was it black coffee or did it have cream and/or sugar?
    That can make a big difference on how much residue adheres to and dries inside.

Instead of just wiping it off, you should've turned it upside down and gently shaken it and allowed as much coffee as possible to drain out.
    Setting the portable hair dryer on its coolest setting and blowing air onto that keyboard while it was upside down may have helped.

You're fortunate it's an external wireless keyboard(which can easily and cheaply be replaced) and not the built-in keyboard of a laptop(which could've been difficult and expensive to repair/replace).

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Don't use it. You will make it worse. Get the old keyboard out and use that.
    Or buy one that is waterproof like this http://www.ebay.com/bhp/waterproof-keyboard
    I've seen these rolled up at Staples from time to time.
    I have one that I attach to a laptop when I have luquids. The laptop stays safely away from this keyboard and liquids.

I would try to clean it with distilled water. Please let it dry for at least 4 days before you attempt to use it again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1157725

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice